Hurricane Dorian diverts its course away from Trinity’s Campus

On a usual September afternoon at Trinity, Headmaster Byron Lawson can easily determine the thunderstorm forecast of the day from the comfort of his own home, the Trinity House. However, instead of checking the usual News 13 Weather Report, he looks outside to see if there are ducks by the pond. 

“The day before hurricane Dorian was to arrive, all of the birds left the retention pond,” Lawson said. “But, the day Dorian was supposed to arrive, all of the birds returned. I thought to myself, ‘the birds would not come back if the storm was headed directly for us’.”

Before students left school to enjoy their lengthened Labor Day weekend, Hurricane Dorian was still intended to hit Central Florida. Trinity took precautions against Dorian by moving outside furnishings indoors and checking the National Hurricane Center consistently. However, it’s wavering course ultimately did not strike Trinity’s campus or Central Florida for that matter; nothing on campus was damaged. 

Although Hurricane Dorian swiftly diverted its course to only hit the east coast of Florida, the Northern Bahamas still faced catastrophic winds and immense damage. Sophomore Simon Brown was heavily concerned with the impacts of Dorian since he lived in the Bahamas for 4 years of his life before moving to Florida. In order to help those affected by the Hurricane, Brown started a drive at his school along with his brother, Freshman Henry Brown. 

“I know some families in the Bahamas who were affected by the hurricane so I really wanted to help out,” Brown said. 

The drive collected a myriad of supplies ranging from canned food and blankets. From a week of collecting, they were able to fill 5 trunk loads of supplies to be shipped off to the Bahamas.