Morales Motivates Multicultural Learning

Provided by Maria Morales
Morales in Athens, Greece at the Acropolis during the summer of 2019.

New Civics and Ancient Civilizations instructor Maria Morales said she is excited to join the social science department at Trinity. After obtaining her degree in political science from Texas Tech, she began working at UCF organizing study abroad programs for students. She has a passion for civics and social science, attested by her 18 years of experience teaching the subject. 

“As far as social science, I’ve always loved history and the study of government,” Morales said. “I’ve just always found it fascinating.”

Morales launched into her teaching career by working at Timber Springs Middle School and Avalon Middle. Because she has spent her years teaching at public schools, she is now learning to adjust to the new environment at Trinity Prep.

“It’s a completely different mindset here at Trinity,” Morales said. “With the public sector, there’s a lot of guidelines, and it’s structured differently. I would say that it’s more innovative here, and everyone has been so willing to help me out and welcome me.”

Trinity gives Morales an opportunity to teach how she knows best, she always encourages her students to be creative and often tries to incorporate projects into her class.

“One of the reasons that I left public school is because I came from a class that was very high in test taking, everything was geared towards taking the tests, getting data and passing onto the next class,” Morales said. “I feel like I wasn’t able to do much for my students, and it’s important to me that they have more opportunities to use their imagination and be creative.”

Outside of teaching at Trinity, Morales loves to read in her free time. She started a book club with her friends that meets once a month. Also, Morales enjoys trying new things with her husband and daughter. 

“I love spending time with my family,” she said. “We like going to Disney a lot. Me and my husband like to go out to eat and try new places. I also love going to the beach but it’s hard with my one-year-old, of course.”

In the time that she’s been here, Morales describes her work at Trinity as fulfilling and engaging.

“I just love teaching,” Morales said. “It’s different and lets me be innovative, but also interact with people at the same time.”

View Comments (1)
Emily Lopez-Couto
Emily Lopez-Couto, Staff Writer
Emily Lopez is a freshman entering her first year on staff in the news department.  In her free time she enjoys playing beach volleyball with her friends, watching "Gilmore Girls" and ordering Chipotle. Contact her at [email protected].

• C

Colleen BickenbachSep 7, 2023 at 3:46 pm

This is an encouraging article ; I enjoyed reading that , “Trinity gives Morales an opportunity to teach how she knows best, she always encourages her students to be creative and often tries to incorporate projects into her class.” Thank you for sharing this news.

Reply