A Kick In The Wright Direction

Senior goalie Shane Wright takes next step in career
Raheel Patel
Senior Shane Wright practices his passing from inside the box.

Millions of high school students across the nation compete with the goal of becoming a division I athlete, but only around 2% succeed. With soccer being the most played sport in the world, senior Shane Wright has defied the odds and become a part of the small group of high school goalies to take their talents to the next level.

Wright has been playing soccer since he can remember, finding an early passion while playing in youth recreational leagues. What started as a pastime grew into a lifestyle, becoming his primary focus. Wright’s athletic ability gave him an advantage against his competition, playing many positions on the defensive side of the ball, but as the competition increased, his training and mindset had to rise to a new level.

While playing for Florida Kraze Krush under Trinity’s current head coach, Ray Sandidge, Wright made the transition to goalkeeper. Sandidge said that he was able to make the change and excel in the position because of his persistence and dedication to the game.

“It’s a very demanding position,” Sandidge said. “He was able to make that change because of his work ethic. He has a great mindset, always working on his game and wanting to get better.”

Wright began his high school career at Timber Creek, starting every game of the season in only his second year of playing goalkeeper. After the season, Sandidge reached out in need of a goalie. Sandidge had only been coaching at Trinity for a year but his impact on the team had been felt. Wright believed that playing with other talented players and his club coach would help him reach the next level. 

“Soccer wise, it’s just a more competitive environment with all the guys here,” Wright said. “It’s a smaller group of people but the people that are here, they’re committed. They’re good and the level is higher but people really want to work.”

Wright’s sophomore plans were knocked off track while warming up during a game against Monteverde. Wright dove for a routine save but as he hit the ground he felt a sharp pain, fracturing his finger in four places. Having to spend the next six weeks recovering was a game-changing experience for Wright that changed him for the better. 

“I had to go to games and practices just to watch people play what I wanted to be doing,” Wright said. “I hated not playing but learned a lot sitting out, it made me a better player and person.”

Throughout Wright’s challenges and injuries, he could always rely on one of his most essential supporters, coach Ray Sandidge. Sandidge establishes his position as coach on the field, but off the field he supports his players as a mentor and friend.

“Whenever I have a problem or something, I can always go to him and talk to him,” Wright said. “I don’t know how to explain it other than like a second dad. He teaches me so much. I can talk to him about whatever I need and he offers help. He’s just been awesome.”

Wright’s club participation is a key contributor to his abilities. He said that the higher competition prepares him for the next level and often has collegiate coaches in attendance. Getting in touch with coaches can be a challenge for many high school athletes, considering the large amount of players across the nation. Wright reached out and caught the eye of many schools, including the University of Central Florida. 

“[The UCF coach] said I am one of the hardest workers that they’ve seen in a while and I assured him I’m going to work as hard as I can,” Wright said.

The sub -stantial increase in level of competition from high school to college has never frightened Wright. He said his work ethic and drive puts him above other college athletes and is noticeable to his teammates and coaches.

“I’m obviously a good athlete, but I’m not the most athletic person ever,” Wright said. “I just work, that’s it. If you work hard, and you have that base ability, then you can get somewhere with it.”