Boys Varsity Basketball Leaves Opponent Quiet After Silent Night

Anna Miliotes
Sophomore Demarius Williams makes a layup in a 61-37 win against Orangewood Christian.

Since the jump ball, a hush has fallen over the crowd. But as Trinity scores their eighth point, the sidelines overflow with anticipation. When Senior and team captain Josh Cooper grabs the rebound and banks in Trinity’s 10th point in the game, the spectators erupt.

On Dec. 2, the boys varsity basketball team beat Orangewood Christian 61-37 and moved to 2-2 on the season. Preceding them was the boys JV team beating Orangewood Christian 55-12.

Starter Mabon Hatchette was a major contributor to the win with 14 points and 4 blocks.

“I look forward to the crowd that comes out to support this cause and our team along with the energy they bring,” Hatchette said.

According to US guidance counselor Chris Hempsted, the tradition of the Silent Night basketball game was introduced to Trinity in 2016 by a parent of one of the players, however, the custom has much deeper roots.

Over the past few years, a small school in Upland, Indiana called Taylor University has gained national notoriety for their unique tradition of ensuing chaos after scoring their 10th point.

“I’m fortunate enough that I’ve actually been to the Silent Night game at Taylor University. It’s a wild event up there,” varsity head coach Eric Schneider said.

It began in the early ’90s when an assistant coach recommended hosting the game the last Friday before exams so students could blow off steam. Similar to Taylor University, spectators at Trinity stay silent until the 10th point, though they have some traditions of their own, including an ugly sweater contest at halftime and toy donations as the admission fee.

“All the donations go to the Christmas Village which is run out of the Seminole County Sheriff’s Office,” said Hempsted.

The toy drive has been running for four years, but took a hiatus due to COVID-19. During the game, there were roughly 200 donations to underprivileged youth in the Orlando area, with even more toys on the way in the subsequent days.

Between the toy drives, food donations, and other altruistic events, the Trinity community is facilitating joy for underprivileged youth during a season of giving.