Three for Three

How athletes compete in a sport all three seasons
Jackson Napier
Senior Amanda Lang plays bowling in the fall, basketball in the winter, and softball in the spring.

Senior Amanda Lang practices basketball in an open gym from 6 a.m. to 7:15 a.m., shows up for her classes throughout the regular school day, and goes to bowling practice in the late afternoon. As a triple-sport athlete, Lang has learned how to effectively balance both athletics and academics at the same time.

“I think waking up early and going to basketball practice helped me throughout the day,” Lang said. “Sometimes I might be a little tired, but I would still be able to push through during practice.”

Lang is one of about ten students on campus who plays sports throughout all three seasons.

A 2014 study from South Dakota State University revealed that participation in athletics is extremely beneficial. Students who participate in varsity sports have been found to perform better academically, develop impressive time management skills, and experience a smoother transition into the college lifestyle.

“My grades are pretty good,” Lang said. “I don’t think my grades go down really at all. So there’s always that.”

A 2023 article by Athletic Weekly shows that participating in more sports helps students make new friends with their teammates and their coaches, learn new things and be a better communicator. More sports can also improve a student athlete’s muscle strengthening, quicken metabolism and improve blood flow to the brain.

Director of Athletics and Physical Education Colin Sullivan acknowledges the extra pressure triple-sport athletes face during the academic year and said the athletic department communicates with coaches on how best to help these specific athletes.

“We work with coaches to understand those athletes that are multiple-sport athletes,” Sullivan said. “We’re dealing with fall sport athletes that are still in their season, yet their winter sports seasons are starting.”

Sullivan believes that being a multiple-sport athlete requires discipline, time management, and prioritization.

“I think it’s important to understand the needs of each sport,” Sullivan said. “You know you’re finishing the season on a high; you know you want to be able to manage that so that there’s not a letdown as you transition into the next season.”

Seventh-grader Colette Voll participates in cross country in the fall, weightlifting in the winter and lacrosse in the spring.

“I feel like I’m able to manage and balance my time for homework and sports evenly so I can keep my grades,” Voll said.

Students who play a sport every season generally learn to manage both athletic competitions and academic assessments.

“I don’t really think there’s much that the school could do just because the student is choosing to participate in a sport, so eventually they would have to learn how to manage their time,” Lang said.