Predictions for Oscar nominations

Courtesy of The Oscars official website
“La La Land” – a film nominated for best picture for the Academy Awards and has already won seven Golden Globes

The Academy Awards is right around the corner and is the most highly watched awards show of the entire year. Comedian Jimmy Kimmel is hosting the show this year for the first time. Check out The Bite’s predictions to see who will be going home with the coveted Oscar awards. Be sure to find out who wins on Feb. 26 at 8:30 PM!

Best Picture- “La La Land”

At the Oscars, the best films compete for the most prestigious award: best picture. Many fantastic movies were created in 2016, but the best film of the year is most likely going to “La La Land.” “La La Land” has already won seven Golden Globes and is nominated for 14 Academy Awards. The romantic drama has great music, fantastic actors and an interesting plot. It is about an actress, Mia and jazz pianist Sebastian trying to conquer their dreams while living in Los Angeles. They find themselves on unexpected paths to stardom and find love in the most surprising places.

Actor in Leading Role- Casey Affleck “Manchester by the Sea”

Casey Affleck and Denzel Washington are the frontrunners for best actor. Although Denzel Washington did a great job in “fences” of playing the role of a middle-aged man who is bitter over his sports career and life as a black man in 1950s, Affleck will win for Lee Chandler in “Manchester by the Sea.” Affleck plays a handyman trying to comfort his teenage nephew while coping with a tragedy from his own past and his grieving over his brother’s death.

Actress in Leading Role- Natalie Portman, “Jackie”

Natalie Portman did a phenomenal job in her role as Jackie Bouvier Kennedy in the film “Jackie.” The film follows Kennedy in her transition from First Lady to America’s First Widow following her husband’s assassination. Portman’s acting shined in this film, and it was evident how much commitment she put into her role.

Animated Feature Film- “Zootopia”

Many amazing animated films have come out since the last Oscars, such as “Finding Dory,” “Moana” and “Zootopia.” Although there are many great contenders, “Zootopia” is likely to win the award for best animated feature film. The film appeals to all ages because it brings up the problem of racial discrimination. It is about a rabbit named Judy Hopps who moves to the big city of Zootopia. While investigating a missing mammals case, she partners with a conman fox, and their relationship challenges assumptions of racial discrimination and prejudice.

Documentary (Feature)- “O.J.: Made in America”

“O.J.: Made in America” was a five-part documentary series released by ESPN in May as part of their “30 for 30” series. The documentary follows O.J. Simpson throughout every point in his career. The film captures everything from his college football career at the University of Southern California to his trial for being accused of murdering Nicole Brown. It received 100% on Rotten Tomatoes and was definitely the best documentary of the year.

Music (Original Song)- “Can’t Stop The Feeling” from “Trolls”

“Can’t Stop The Feeling” by Justin Timberlake was featured in hit animated movie, “Trolls,” which premiered in November. Timberlake received a great deal of praise for this catchy hit, and it even reached Number One on Billboard’s Top 40 chart. Timberlake sure deserves this Oscar nomination for his fun, sing-along hit.

Makeup and Hairstyling- “Suicide Squad”

“Suicide Squad” was one of the biggest movies over the summer. It featured many stars including Will Smith, Jared Leto and Cara Delevingne. The actors in the movie definitely fit their parts as super villains with their amazing makeup. Although I particularly didn’t enjoy this movie, they are definitely deserving of the Oscar nomination for hair and makeup.