“Tall Girl” Review: The powerful message in the Film 

Courtesy+of+Netflix+
    Courtesy of Netflix

Teen rom-com “Tall Girl,” directed by Nzingha Stewart, was released to Netflix on September 13. Jodi Kreyman (Ava Michelle) is a 16-year-old girl who is 6 ft 1 in and is bullied by everyone in her high school. Jodi’s two best friends (Anjelika Washington) Fareeda and Jack Dunkleman (Griffin Gluck) help Jodi realize she’s just like every other teenage girl.

From the onset of the movie, Jodi is bullied by all of the kids in her high school. When an exchange student named Stig comes to the school from Sweden, Jodi’s life is flipped upside down when she falls in love. Jodi goes to her sister Harper for advice on getting Stig to notice her. 

The movie “Tall Girl” is very inspirational. It helps young girls know that no matter how tall or short they are, just like every other girl in the world. “Tall Girl” also speaks out about bullying, which impacts 33% of teens a year. 

“I’m tall, really, really tall, and it’s the thing that’s haunted me my entire life,” Jodi said. “It’s defined me. But I think it’s time that I come up with a new definition.”

Being tall doesn’t mean that you’re different than anyone else. You can define what tall means to you. 

At the climax of the film, Jodi goes up to the stage during Homecoming and tells everyone in the room that she is more than just tall. This speech is the most valuable piece of the movie. It defines the meaning of equality and friendship. 

“Keep calling me names, keep asking me, how’s the weather up here–because the weather up here, it’s pretty great,” Jodi said.

The story relates to the life of actress Ava Michelle, who plays Jodi. Michelle’s height has gotten in the way of her life. When she was a kid, she was kicked off of Dance Moms for being too tall. 

“I think it was one of the first times that I realized my height could get in the way of what I wanted to do,” Michelle said in an interview with Elite Daily.

Teens and their parents should watch “Tall Girl” because of the powerful message Ava delivers in the movie. It’s a movie you will enjoy.