Wilson Follows the Signs to Trinity Prep

Wilson+in+action+helping+an+athlete+in+need.+
Olivia Prince
Wilson in action helping an athlete in need.

While searching for a new athletic training position, Sheena Wilson found herself drawn to Trinity Prep, as it brought an interesting connection to her past. 

“I saw the logo of the school and it reminded me of a gate I was obsessed with looking at as a little kid that had the exact same symbol,” Wilson said. “It all came together and I decided to go with the guided signs and my gut instinct led me here.”

Prior to attaining her bachelor’s degree in kinesiology and athletic training from California State University, Fresno, Wilson found her love for athletic training through a physical therapy internship. 

“[Through the internship], I learned to speak with conviction,” Wilson said. “It challenged me intellectually and that’s not what I was getting from my prior majors, and that made me want to chase this athletic training dream.” 

Following college, Wilson worked in Arizona as a trainer at two local schools and additionally worked at physical therapy clinics. Wilson’s love for athletic training stems from her passion for sports. Growing up as an avid basketball player, athletics were not only an influential part of her life but also a safe space she could always rely on. One of her favorite moments stemming from her basketball career came from one of her aspirations as an athlete. Standing at 5’7, Wilson had a dream to be able to dunk. In her senior year of high school, Wilson arduously worked towards this goal, until one day after practice, she nearly achieved her goal. 

“Once I grabbed rim, I walked away with pride knowing that there’s nobody in my neighborhood, or in my community, that could ever grab rim at 5’7,” Wilson said.

When she’s not tending to athletes in need, Wilson is a talented artist, dabbling in various styles of art including acrylic painting and graphic art. In addition, Wilson remains an athlete to this day. She is always ready to play a game of pickup basketball and even keeps a basketball in her trunk at all times.

Wilson’s favorite part about being an athletic trainer at Trinity is the connections she’s able to make with student-athletes and watching them grow.

“The beauty of being an athletic trainer, especially if you’re in a school for a long period of time, is getting to see athletes go from freshmen to seniors,” Wilson said. “You get to see their evolution to young men and women.”