Christmas Classics Contest

Measuring Christmas Movies On A Yuletide Scale

“Elf,” “A Christmas Story,” “Home Alone,” and “The Polar Express” These movies are largely considered essential for the holiday season. Debates have often formed on which movie is the true quintessential Christmas movie. In order to try and answer this question, we must define what makes a good Christmas movie. In order to measure the “Christmasness” of these films, I have devised a three-point scale. 

1. Does the movie value generosity?: Christmas is the season of giving (and receiving), so a work aiming to be representative of the holiday should include elements of generosity. 
    2. Does the movie spark joy? The emotional state of being jolly is fundamental to any Christmas media. And Finally, 
    3. How does the movie incorporate the “Christmas Spirit” into its plot? The Christmas Spirit is an ever-present plot device that has become infused into the lifeblood of Christmas movies, therefore the quintessential Christmas movie would make good use of it. These three categories will be measured on a 1-10 scale, with an aggregate score out of 30 being calculated at the end.

ELF

“Elf,” released in 2003 tells the story of Buddy, a human who has been raised by Santa’s elves who has to adjust to the ways of human life. Buddy navigates through teaching his human family the meaning of Christmas, finding love, and adjusting to the human world. It’s your classic well-meaning fish-out-of-water story, with a Christmas twist. Starting with generosity, Buddy is always trying to help out his human family even if it usually doesn’t turn out to be all that beneficial. Buddy still performs all these acts with generous intentions, earning it a score of 7 on the generosity scale. Moving on to joy, this movie is a nonstop rollercoaster of jokes. From Buddy’s reaction to the Mall Santa to the rapid-fire snowball fight, this movie never stops trying to make you laugh. Will Ferrell’s performance in this is nothing short of legendary, becoming one of his most iconic roles. This movie’s unabashed sense of joy earns it a 10 on that scale. Finally, the incorporation of the Christmas Spirit. The Christmas spirit takes a backseat in this movie, acting as more of a trait of Buddy’s character rather than a motivating factor in this story. Buddy still often discusses the magic of Christmas, earning the film a 3 on this scale. This brings the aggregate “Christmasness” score of “Elf” to 20/30.

A CHRISTMAS STORY

“A Christmas Story” is the 1983 classic detailing the various Christmas memories of Ralphie Parker, the most famous of which being his quest for a Red Ryder BB Gun. Ralphie debates back and forth with his parents about why he should be able to have this toy. Starting with generosity, Ralphie, like many 9-year olds, isn’t very generous. The other characters in the film also don’t express too much generosity, save for Ralphie’s old man, who in the end does get Ralphie his precious gun. This general lack of generosity earns the movie a 2 on that scale. However, this movie excels in the joy category. The stuck-to-a-pole scene alone is so ingrained in the history of cinema that movies still pay homage to it today. On the joy scale, this movie earns a 10. As for the final category, the Christmas spirit is never mentioned nor acts as a motivator for any of the characters in the film. On the Christmas Spirit scale, it earns a 0. This brings the “Christmasness” score to a 12/30.

HOME ALONE

1990’s “Home Alone” details the rambunctious hijinks of Kevin McCallister as he tries to defend his home from burglars all while he is home alone. Kevin employs increasingly elaborate traps in order to bamboozle the burglars. This film doesn’t particularly exhibit or promote any values of generosity, except for the generosity of the people helping Kevin’s family get home. However, because this part isn’t the main focus it earns only a 3 on this scale. On the joy scale, this is another 10, the slapstick humor is really what makes this movie as iconic as it is. As for the Christmas Spirit, once again it is not mentioned by name, but the magic of the holiday is what’s used as the main reason as to why people are generous enough to help Kevin’s family get home. However, it still isn’t featured as a main element of the story, earning it a 3 on this scale as well. In total, “Home Alone” scores a 16/30 on the “Christmasness” scale.

POLAR EXPRESS

2004 saw the release of the film adaptation of the beloved children’s book “Polar Express”. The film of the same name was directed by Robert Zemeckis and featured experimental motion capture animation that made the film look like the space between animation and live-action, creating a magical look that had been seen seldom elsewhere. The film follows the plot of the book, following a group of kids as they board the magical Polar Express and make their way to the North Pole in order to meet Santa Claus. In terms of generosity, the film’s hot chocolate scene, where a girl saves a cup of cocoa for another boy, is the only major example of this value being demonstrated. For that, it earns a 3 on this scale. On the joy scale, this film is filled with a sense of childlike wonder, which makes it hard not to smile when watching it. As has been the case for every film on this list, it earns a 10 on the joy scale. For the incorporation of the Christmas Spirit, this film is imbued with Christmas magic from the very beginning. The magical appearance of the train itself, to the grandiose nature of the North Pole, every little detail is enriched by the magic of Christmas. The Christmas Spirit is incorporated into the plot as well, with the bell the boy gets at the end only making a ringing sound to those who still believe in Christmas. On the Christmas Spirit Scale, “The Polar Express” earns a 10. “The Polar Express” has earned a total “Christmasness” score of 23/30.

CONCLUSION

Based on the aggregate scores of all 4 films, “The Polar Express” has emerged as the winner and earned the title of the quintessential Christmas movie. This film holds such a dear place in the hearts of many, and is definitely worth a watch this holiday season. It exhibits the values of the holiday all the while putting a smile on your face during the season of joy, generosity, and the Christmas Spirit.