Your fave could never: top eight underrated artists

Warning: this article may offend people with narrow music taste. The music industry is home to thousands of artists, most of whom are talented and capable.  According to the world, Beyonce is the best thing to happen to the music industry–everybody loves the diva. You can call her Queen B all you want, but Mrs. Carter is overrated, unlike other artists who share the spotlight, but not the same fan base.

Before you light the torches and grab the pitchforks, this article is not trashing Bey. She has undeniable talent, a flawless voice and a stellar physique. There’s no doubt that Beyonce is a 10… on the pH scale: basic. Uninventive in terms of riffs and runs, she always plays it safe.  Her dance moves and vocals are always sharp and calculated, which makes her look good but also a bit boring. Being flawless doesn’t mean being the best.

Beyonce is not the only true talent in the world of modern music. The Queen actually shares the throne with many other mainstream artists who haven’t gained the same following and appreciation. So how underrated are these artists (on a scale of 1-5, 1 being “they can sing just as well as Beyonce” and 5 being “this artist should be a religion”)?

JESSIE J

Vocally, Jessie J, born Jessica Cornish, is easily the best talent to hit the music scene recently, if not the vocalist of a generation. Her riffs, melismas and runs are slicker than “an oil spill,” to quote Pitbull, and reminiscent of Mariah Carey, but in a style all her own. Jessie J never plays it safe vocally and scales her three-octave range easier than Beyonce wins undeserved Grammys. On multiple occasions, the Brit has belted an A5, which, for all the non-musicians, is akin to climbing Mt. Everest. Jessie J always has fun on stage, which makes her performances particularly enjoyable. The performances never appear staged, and she is naturally sexy (unlike Beyonce’s uber choreographed “Drunk in Love” Grammy performance). It’s obvious she loves what she does, which only makes the audience love her more.

What to Watch

“Do It Like a Dude” (Brit Awards 2011), “Domino” (Radio 1 Live Lounge), “Who You Are” (Vevo Live), “We Found Love Cover” (Radio 1 Live Lounge)

Best Songs

“Domino,” “Who You Are,” “Mamma Knows Best,” “Nobody’s Perfect,” “Big White Room,” “It’s My Party”

Underrated Rating

5 – Girl has soul and makes unitard jumpers look cool.

KELLY CLARKSON

Why She’s Underrated

Aside from the fact that Kelly Clarkson can literally sing anything, the American Idol Season 1 winner writes most of her own music. While some lyrics may fall flat, Kelly’s raspy vocals are always on point, and she has a unique sound. Clarkson owns the F5 and G5 belt. She also managed to make Christmas albums cool again and arguably wrote the best single about the holidays since Mariah Carey’s “All I Want for Christmas Is You.” Kelly Clarkson has stood the test of time: she was relevant in 2002, and she’s relevant now. She is also relatable. Clarkson changes genres more than Taylor Swift changes boyfriends and makes country music actually bearable (#sorrynotsorry). The woman is basically perfect because she’s down to earth: imagine Jennifer Lawrence except she can sing (no hate to J-Law).

What to Watch

“Medley” (2012 AMAs), “Behind These Hazel Eyes” (Live on VH1 2005), “Underneath the Tree” (Wrapped in Red Christmas Special), “Walk Away” (CD USA Live 2006), “Stronger (VH1 Divas)”

Best Songs

“Behind These Hazel Eyes,” “Because of You,” “Walk Away,” “I Do Not Hook Up,” “Breakaway,” “Stronger,” “Miss Independent”

Underrated Rating

3 – Has there really ever been a bad Kelly Clarkson song?

P!NK

Why She’s Underrated

P!nk is a rabble-rouser. The hardcore Pennsylvania native has a killer voice, attitude and body. Having a baby? No problem for P!nk, born Alecia Moore, who after giving birth to her daughter Willow released her first double-platinum album The Truth About Love, which earned her three number one singles and her second Grammy nomination for Best Pop Vocal Album. P!nk’s raspy quality accents her punk vibe, but is only the icing on the cake to her flawless live performances. Throwback to the 2010 Grammy Awards when she performed aerial feats while singing “Glitter in the Air.”  Your fave could never.  She has rightfully held on to the number one slot in Billboard Magazine’s Best Live Performances 2000-2012.  Despite these accolades, P!nk is still unfairly underappreciated by the civilian population compared to Beyonce.  She became one of the best artists of the second millennia by blending insane musical talent with intense physical feats. Fun fact: she sang her song “Sober” while swinging from a trapeze every single night of her Funhouse Tour. “P!nk is siiiiick” (Direct Harry Styles quote).

What to Watch

“Glitter in the Air” (2010 Grammy Awards), “Try” (The American Music Awards 2012), “Sober” (Funhouse Tour Vevo Presents), “Family Portrait” (I’m Not Dead Tour DVD), “Lady Marmalade” (2002 Grammy Awards)

Best Songs

All of her 19 Top-Twenty Hits

Underrated Rating

5 – P!nk is the new black.

LADY GAGA

Why She’s Underrated

People who think Lady Gaga, born Stefani Germanotta, is weird and “terrible” are also the same people that think Beyonce’s hair is real. To quote the real queen, Adele, “Bless your soul, you got your head in the clouds.” In terms of showmanship and pure musical talent, Gaga SLAYS. Don’t let the costumes made of meat and bubble wrap fool you: Lady Gaga is worthy of the title “Queen.” Her choreography is as intricate if not more so than Beyonce’s, and their vocal abilities are pretty evenly matched. She was even accepted into NYU’s Tisch school at age 17. She is versatile yet distinct at the same time. Don’t believe us? Listen to her debut album The Fame. Every track sounds like it could be by a different artist, but at the same time, it’s so uniquely her. Gaga doesn’t like to show off her voice (although she totally should) and instead focuses on the sound as a whole rather than cashing in on money notes (although she totally could). “Mother Monster” may let her fashion antics define her at times, but it would be a mistake to ignore Gaga. Friendly reminder that Beyonce collaborated with Lady Gaga twice (“Video Phone” and “Telephone”), except Gaga’s “Telephone” was not terrible and Beyonce’s “Video Phone” was. Beyonce has not been that embarrassing since “Bootylicious.”

What to Watch

“Paparazzi” (2009 VMAs), “Born This Way” (2011 Grammy Awards Version and The Fame Monster Ball Acapella Version), “Applause” (2013 VMAs)(see also Greatest Comeback of the 21st Century), “Lovegame/Poker Face” (MuchMusic Awards 2009), “Bad Romance/Speechless” (American Music Awards 2009)

Best Songs

“Brown Eyes,” “Judas,” “Do What U Want,” “Summerboy,” “Beautiful, Dirty, Rich,” “Poker Face Acoustic,” “Bad Romance,” “Monster,” “Marry the Night,” “Electric Chapel”

Underrated Rating

4 – Gaga has more creativity and versatility in a stitch of fabric than Beyonce has in an entire wardrobe.

MILEY CYRUS

Why She’s Underrated

Things are pretty black and white when it comes to Miley Cyrus—you either love her or you hate her. There is no in between. Despite her young age, the former Disney Channel star can sing! Probably the best thing to happen to the pop/country/hip-hop crossover genre, Cyrus’ unpredictable vocals keep her platinum album Bangerz a symphonic sensation as she switches between harpooned hyena and beached whale tones (yes, this is a compliment). Miley knows exactly how to play the audience, which makes the spectacle of her metamorphosis from All-American sweetheart Hannah Montana to “California face with a down south rump,” to quote her Twitter bio, all the more interesting. As far as award show performances go, Cyrus has proven herself dramatically, but not vocally. However, her recent MTV Unplugged acoustic set should vanquish doubts of her musical ability. Miley doesn’t take herself seriously, but that doesn’t mean we shouldn’t.

What to Watch

“Wrecking Ball” (Saturday Night Live), “Drive,” “Get It Right,” and “Do My Thang” (MTV Unplugged); “We Can’t Stop/Blurred Lines” (2013 VMAs), “Party in the U.S.A.” (Teen Choice Awards 2009)

Best Songs

“Adore You,” “Do My Thang,” “Get It Right,” “Drive,” “Party in the U.S.A.,” “See You Again,” “7 Things”

Underrated Rating

3 – Don’t let the mediocre twerking skills fool you: homegirl can actually sing.  Really well.

DEMI LOVATO

Why She’s Underrated

Demi Lovato never fell victim to the censored Disney goody-two-shoes image. Her first two albums Don’t Forget and Here We Go Again were mature blends of pop and rock which highlighted the star’s impressive range and tone. After her visit to rehab, Lovato released Unbroken, an R&B soul-fest that reestablished her place in the music industry; she was no longer another Disney star. In fact, Lovato seems to have totally broken free from her teenage claim to fame and continues to leave her mark on the pop world. Although her live performances may be inconsistent, when she’s good, Lovato hits the nail on the head. Also it’s a known fact that “Heart Attack” was the greatest thing to happen in summer 2013 other than the birth of the royal baby.

What to Watch

“Get Back” (Walmart Soundcheck)“Give Your Heart a Break,” “Catch Me / Don’t Forget,” and “Skyscraper” (Vevo Presents Demi Lovato: An Intimate Performance)

Best Songs

“Don’t Forget,” “Here We Go Again,” “Skyscraper,” “You’re My Only Shorty,” “Heart Attack,” “Give Your Heart a Break,” “La La Land,” “Get Back”

Underrated Rating

1 – She was a lot better five years ago so we are going to hold her to that standard, although nothing beats her G#5 in “Heart Attack.”

COBRA STARSHIP

Why They’re Underrated

Although you may know them from their 2009 mega-hit with Gossip Girl star Leighton Meester, “Good Girls Go Bad,” Midtown band Cobra Starship often gets lost in the shuffle of angstier bands like Fall Out Boy and Panic! At the Disco who came out and were signed to the same label around the same time.  With song titles like “I May Be Rude, But I’m the Truth,” “Pete Wentz is the Only Reason We’re Famous” and “Kiss My Sass,” the New York five piece isn’t afraid to poke fun at itself, unlike other bands that came out of the same pop-punk vein in the mid-2000s. What Cobra Starship has going for it is South American export and lead singer Gabe Saporta (a diamond in the rough in the world of male vocal artists), a full-time keytarist, and a keen sense of humor (as evidenced by their apocryphal formation story). The creatively saucy lyrics and unique collaborations are refreshing, especially when paired with Saporta’s sassy voice. There is no way to describe Cobra Starship other than enjoyable. Some may write them off as “cliche,” but the band is well aware of this (incorrect) accusation and uses it to fuel their continually on-point jams. In a sea of nasty, Cobra Starship’s tongue-in-cheek attitude is a life raft.

What to Watch

“Good Girls Go Bad” (MySpace Live Session), Their reality TV show on MTV “Viva La Cobra”

Best Songs

“Church of Hot Addiction,” “Kiss My Sass,” “Guilty Pleasure,” “Snakes on a Plane,” “Smile for the Paparazzi,” “My Moves Are White…White Hot That Is,” “Good Girls Go Bad,” “One Day Robots Will Cry,” “Hot Mess”

Underrated Rating

5 – They’re bringing sassy back.

ONEREPUBLIC

Why They’re Underrated

Y’all need to avert your gaze from Beyonce and stop and stare at OneRepublic. The band has been around for quite some time, but has only recently garnered attention for songs like “Secrets” and “Good Life.” Those songs are the weakest OneRepublic songs by far and barely show off Ryan Tedder’s flawless transition from chest register to falsetto. Tedder not only writes all the songs for the band, but he has basically written every song to be released in the past decade. Surprise! Tedder wrote Beyonce’s turning point single “Halo.” Why Queen B is regarded as an angel and Tedder is not, the world will never know.

What to Watch

“Stop and Stare” (AOL Sessions),  “Apologize” (iTunes Festival), “Counting Stars” (Live from All Saints)

Best Songs

“Stop and Stare,” “All the Right Moves,” “Apologize,” “Everybody Loves Me,” “Counting Stars”

Underrated Rating

2 – Top 3 Republics: One Republic, the Roman Republic, and Banana Republic

View Comments (1)
ZACH KOBRIN
ZACH KOBRIN, STAFF WRITER
Zach Kobrin is a very excited junior to be participating on the Trinity Voice for the first time. He enjoys theater, creative writing, and long walks on the beach. Contact at [email protected]

• S

SashaMar 19, 2015 at 1:20 am

Totally and completely in agreement with this list barring the last two groups. Not because I disagree but because I am not familiar with them.

IMO, Jessie J is absolutely the most talented vocalist I have ever heard.

But what’s with the Beyoncé bashing?! I still consider Bey to be the best performer of our time. She slays vocally and puts on a hell of a show. So much talent!

Reply