AMAs bring music lovers and artists a night of success

American Music Awards showcase the best artists for this year
Courtesy of AMA

Taylor Swift, our generation’s newest queen of pop, opened the show establishing her position on the throne. Singing her newest hit, “Blank Space,” Swift blew everyone away with multiple set changes and a dramatic, broadway-like performance.  With fire, explosions, and costume changes, Swift played the part of the crazy ex-girlfriend that everyone has learned to love.  Swift brought her A-game, starting this year’s American Music Awards out with a bang, literally.

God bless One Direction. The music world, as well as every girl in America, thanks you for being some of the most polished and good looking boys in the world.  One Direction was the big winner of the night, starting and finishing the show winning all three awards they were nominated for.  You know you’ve made it when you win Artist of the Year over the flawless and seemingly unbeatable Beyonce Knowles.  Not only did the boys manage to snag this award, but they also performed their newest single, “Night Changes.”  If God’s angels had a voice, I am sure they could be heard through the ever so perfect harmonies of Harry Styles, Zayn Malik, Liam Payne, Louis Tomlinson, and Niall Horan.  The craziest part of the boys winning so many American Music Awards is that they aren’t even American at all.  Coming from all the way across the Atlantic, this British boy band currently has absolute control of the music industry all over the world.

Nothing is more cringeworthy than watching an artist who has has not quite “made it,” strut around the stage like she owns the place.  Charli XCX knows just how to gain pity from a viewing audience of millions.  Yes, we understand your one hit, “Boom Clap” peaked in the top ten on the US Hot 100.  No, it really isn’t ok to break everything on stage for attention.  Some say it’s a form of self expression, but I say she looked absolutely ridiculous.

The era of boybands is on a rise with newest pop punk/pop rock band, 5 Seconds of Summer, winning Best New Artist of the Year as well as performing a cover of “What I Like About You.”  These four Australian lads are not only extremely talented, but can bring an entire audience to its feet.  5 Seconds of Summer is definitely a band worth watching in the near future.

In the generation of self-expression and the anti-norm, white, female rapper Iggy Azalea fits right into the music world.  Yes, she has some talent and, yes, she sure knows how to work it, but is she really as great as she is hyped up to be?  Not only do her live vocals sound completely different from her recorded tracks, but her shallow, unoriginal lyrics during her performance of “Fancy” were nothing to applaud for.  Continuing with an outfit change for her song “Beg For It,” Azalea performed an act that looked more like an 80’s home Jazzercise dance video than something worthy of the AMAs.

Wow – The only word everyone was thinking as the incredibly stunning Selena Gomez took the stage to perform her newest single, “The Heart Wants What It Wants.”  The 22-year-old actress and singer truly reached her full potential Sunday night bringing her bestie, Taylor Swift, to tears.  Gomez brought the passion and emotion of the song to life, mastering the art of a true entertainer.  Congrats Selena, your audience of 12-year-old girls and days of bubblegum pop are over.

As every year passes, it seems as though Jennifer Lopez only gets younger.  Closing the show with hit song “Booty,” Lopez proved to America that she is the most fabulous women on the planet.  Although the song lacked quality, it didn’t matter because all eyes were mesmerized on the killer choreography and top-notch sass.  Props to J-Lo for ending the 2014 American Music Awards with an unforgettable performance to parallel such an unforgettable night.