Lexie’s declassified school survival guide

Being a teenager is tough. Even more so when you realize your simple decisions of today contribute directly to the ‘you’ of tomorrow. According to the American Academy of Family Physicians, approximately 65 percent of adult-related issues such as strokes, heart diseases, depression and cancer can be traced back to behaviors formed at a young age. Poor eating habits, lack of physical activity, irregular sleeping patterns, an overload of homework, and every degree of misery in between: it all takes a direct assault to your health. This is not to say you won’t be forced to make a few health-related sacrifices in the future. After all, a life lived to its fullest is bound to encounter a few hiccups. However, there is a balanced approach. There are easy ways to live healthy, wisely, and passionately. One just has to take the initiative.

Regardless of whether you prefer rising at the crack of dawn or sleeping till late afternoon, that first hour of your day sets the tone for the rest of your escapades. Waking up on the right side of the bed can really be the determining factor of a good day. So, before your mind has a chance to run on you, or before you get caught up in the happenings of the outside world, just breathe. Smile. Think of something positive. And if you find yourself short in optimism, get some healthy perspective, because in all actuality, you don’t have it that bad.

If your days have truly been nothing but dreadful, it’s okay to roll around in the muck. For a limited time (not for-life), really embrace what’s making you feel awful. The last thing you want to do is suppress it. As Gabor Maté, a wise Canadian physician once said, “to say that we shouldn’t have anger or sadness is like saying that we shouldn’t have rain: we may not like getting wet, but without it there’s no irrigation.” Everyone grieves in their own way. If The Smiths are your vice, then fill your days with The Queen is Dead on replay. Watch an entire season of the Vampire Diaries. Fill up your comedy tank with Monty Python. You are the only one who knows how to heal yourself, so tailor your misery digging to fit your personal preferences.

Sometimes we find ourselves in situations that are far beyond our control. Whether it be a class you’re forced to take, a job you loathe, or an overdramatic friend – this very second – focus on the surrogate enhancement. Pour your energy into things you can change. Forgive those who have hurt you. Find a hobby you love, and do it more often. The rush of achievement you’ll get from your accomplishments will really do you some good.

Exercise. Some slump farther in their seats at the very mention of it. Others jump at the idea. No matter what category you fall under, or if you are some half-hemmed halve in between, everyone needs to get active. According to an article titled Why Exercise is Wise on kidshealth.org, “exercising causes the body to produce endorphins, chemicals that can help a person to feel more peaceful and happy.

Exercise can help some people sleep better. It can also help some people who have mild depression and low self-esteem.” I won’t preach to you on the benefits of getting a solid sixty minutes of exercise a day, because time can be fleeting. However, going for a simple, ten minute walk is better than nothing at all. Rally the troops and get your friends in on it too. If you exercise with people you enjoy spending time with you’re more likely to do it again.

If you find that your days are jam-packed with one event, chore, and appalling assignment after another, step back and assess which of them is the most important. Prioritize, then do work. Procrastination is the looming devil who peers over your shoulder, just waiting for you to embrace him. Listing what is most vital and getting it done, will eliminate your stress. Completing tasks will not only make you feel proficient, but it may also allow you to clear your calendar for a bit of personal time. Do you really want to go to that concert? Maybe you just want to sleep. And maybe you should.

Sleep, along with physical activity, is one of the most critical factors to your well-being.

“Sleep is no different from diet or exercise,” says Carol Ash, D.O., a sleep specialist in Jamesburg, New Jersey. It’s very important to get an adequate amount of sleep every night or you may do some unintended damage to your body. Being well rested can fight off infection, support your metabolism, prevent diabetes, and allow you to perform well in school and work.

Do you eat to live, or live to eat?

How about both?

What you put in your body is one of the biggest sustaining factors in your health. It’s fuel. If you gorge yourself on twinkies and cookies, you’re unavoidably going to feel sluggish. And, alternatively, if you eat nothing but a few lettuce leaves and a tomato you’re most likely going to be grumpy.

You have to find a middle ground. Eat what you love, but don’t overindulge. Instead of being overly concerned with counting calories or calculating portion sizes, think of what you eat in terms of color, variety, and taste. This way it should be easier to make healthy choices. Focus on finding food you love. Start slowly and make positive changes to your eating habits over time.
Honing in on helpful health habits will aid you in the near future. Whether you’re going for a full-fledged self renewal plan or just a strategy to stamp out stress, both can be done. And from one teenager to another, I can promise you that everything truly doesn’t suck. Somehow, somewhere, someone is smiling.