Jammin’ for change

The PeaceJam Club traveled to Tallahassee for the annual PeaceJam Slam.

The PeaceJam Club attended the PeaceJam Slam at Florida State University for the second year in a row.

PeaceJam chapters from all over the southeast attended.

Attendees found out which Nobel Peace Laureate will host the PeaceJam conference in April, and they attended workshops as well.

The club presented its project from last year, Jammin’ Against Famine, at the Slam.
The PeaceJam Slam is a one-day conference held every fall to help PeaceJam clubs plan their yearlong projects.

Katie Seymour, who was head of PeaceJam for many years and is now retired, chaperoned the eight club members that went to the Slam.

She said that students came anywhere from Georgia to Key West.

“The PeaceJam club provided a seminar about last year’s project, Jammin’ Against Famine,” said Seymour.
The club successfully presented its project to a workshop whose participants can use those ideas to come up with projects of their own.

Junior Lauren Kwa said, “It was really cool to be at a place full of other people who want to change the world.”
The club created a presentation and talked about how they decided on the 30 Hour Famine project last year. Juniors Toni Cross and Lauren Kwa, along with sophomore Kendall Rotar conducted the seminar. Seymour said,

“They explained how they researched the need [of food] and how they carried out their plans locally and internationally.”
For the international project last year, PeaceJam worked with World Vision, a Christian relief program aimed at fighting hunger.

The club helped feed people who are battling starvation and famine every day in underprivileged countries around the world.
The local project involved teaming up with the Bread and Backpacks club, which provides food on weekends for children who would otherwise go hungry. Both groups worked together on the 30 Hour Famine, and PeaceJam donated some money raised for the Jammin’ Against Famine Project to the Bread and Backpacks club.
As vice president of PeaceJam, Cross said the highlight of the trip for her was when the attendees were separated into different family groups.

“Because the slam is smaller than the conference [in April], you get split into groups with five or six people you don’t know,” she said.

Each group was assigned to two mentors who attend Florida State.
“You get to talk to new people and learn about other PeaceJam tend Florida State University.
You get to talk to new people and learn about other Peaceam clubs,” said Cross.

She said that it was a really interesting and a great learning expe Jrience which she could apply to our school’s PeaceJam club.
Sophomore Kendall Rotar saidthat the Slam was eye opening for her. “The PeaceJam Slam really shows you different ways of life,” she said. “You meet other people and hear their projects, which shows you how privileged you are and what you take for granted.”

Rotar agreed with Kwa that “it was great being around people who wanted to change the world.”
The club also attended anti-bullying seminars, which gave them new ideas for their project this year.

They received tips on how to successfully organize events around their topic.

Their anti-bullying project this year is working towards mutual respect and acceptance.

Sophomore Jack Dwyer said the anti-bullying project is connected to the Born This Way Foundation.

“The main focus of the club is to spread awareness and help teach tolerance,” said Dwyer.

The PeaceJam club could not use the word “bullying” beacuse of the way the word may reflect poorly on the school’s reputation.

However, the club is very excited about this new project and all that it will accomplish this school year.