The most dreadful time of the year

Every student warily prepares to face his or her semester exams

December is supposed to be an exciting time for everyone as they prepare for the holidays. However, high school students are too busy cramming for exams to enjoy the season. Every student is frantically trying to write an outline for that ridiculous English essay or memorize fifty different dates for history.
Many students use their time wisely in the weeks leading up to exams, but those students still end up cramming the night before exams. Students stay up until the early hours of the morning trying to memorize those last few notes. Does cramming benefit you or does it only end up hurting you?
Studying for exams is never fun for anyone, and most students try to postpone it for as long as possible. When procrastinating, you are just setting yourself up to cram the night before. “I am normally a procrastinator,” said seventh grader Carolyn Lightsey. “However, I plan to start studying soon because I am nervous for my exams this year.” Many seventh graders are nervous for their first time taking an exam. Pulling an all-nighter to study for your 9 a.m. exam will not benefit you. After a certain hour, your brain will shut down and won’t retain any of the information that you were trying to learn. Studies have proven that sleep deprived students do not score as high on tests as fully rested students.
The main reason behind cramming for exams is procrastination. Many students suffer from procrastination by telling themselves, “I’ll just do it later,” when in fact they have no plans to start until the very last minute. “I’m not a procrastinator,” said seventh grader Samy Asfoor. “I am very nervous for my exams because I have never taken one before.”
The best way to overcome procrastination is to set a schedule and plan ahead. When you study in advance, you allow yourself time to relax the day before exams. “Everyone should start studying when Thanksgiving ends,” suggests English teacher Sue Speicher.
Locking yourself in your room to study for hours on end is a recipe for disaster. Instead, you should review your notes for only twenty minutes each day starting about two weeks before exams. “It’s better to learn the material as the semester goes on, rather than wait until the last minute to start studying,” said Speicher.  You will then be familiar with the material and you won’t be as stressed out the night before your exams.
“I study for about thirty minutes on weekdays, and two hours on weekends,” said senior Tori Robbins.
Many people waste their time by not studying effectively. There are a few factors which can greatly affect your productivity while studying. Choosing a peaceful place that suits your study needs is crucial. The most successful study place would be somewhere without any distractions. If a TV or computer is on, you’ll be tempted to postpone your studying for another day.
Studying in groups is very productive for some people. When working in a study group with people who have similar study habits, you gain input from them and enjoy a low-stress environment. However, picking who you study with is important. Sometimes it’s best to study with people you aren’t as comfortable with because there is less chance of side conversations.
If you find yourself studying for hours on end, you should reward yourself by taking small breaks. Your studying will be much more successful if you plan these breaks. It is recommended by Jieb Online, a website which provides helpful study tips, that you study for about forty-five minutes and then take a ten minute break. No one enjoys studying, so setting a specific time for a break will motivate you to finish your studying. “I study for about three hours per class and I will pull an all nighter to study for a particuarly hard exam,” said sophomore Cami Cooke.
There is too much information on a semester exam to learn in a few short hours. Also, pulling an all nighter will hurt your exam grade even more. However, by studying ahead, you won’t have to worry as much.

Also, when you study throughout the year, you retain information and you won’t need to cram before exams.