Who will be walking the red carpet?

While the Academy Awards will not take place until February, voting has already started and many seem to already have a good idea of the frontrunners. While this list does not cover all of the best movies of the year, here are a few of the flicks that are likely contenders.

Silver Linings Playbook

At first glance, Silver Linings Playbook seems to be light fair compared to other possible films. But this is what will set Playbook apart. This recently released flick has a varied cast. Bradley Cooper, recognized for his role in The Hangover, takes over the role of Pat, a mentally ill man who after being cheated on by his wife starts to rebuild his life. Of Bradley Cooper’s performance, English teacher Susan Lilley said that he, “came out of the pretty-boy box for this movie.”

His new life includes Tiffany, his new “friend”, played by Jennifer Lawrence, who is known for her roles in Winter’s Bone, which she received a nomination for, and The Hunger Games. Pat’s parents, played by Robert De Niro and Jacki Weaver, also help to reconstruct his life.

When the film played at the Toronto International Film Festival, it won the People’s Choice Award. Previous winners of this award include The King’s Speech, Slumdog Millionaire, and Hotel Rwanda, all of which took home several Oscars.

Many critics already say that Lawrence has the better odds of winning Best Actress, and DeNiro could be nominated Best Supporting Actor. Lilley also praised Lawrence and said, “[Jennifer Lawrence] is brilliant. She’s the kind of person on-screen that you can’t take your eyes off of. She exudes the truth in acting.”

Viewers consider the ideas in the film to be fresh. The film doesn’t stereotype mental illnesses or try to glide over them. Instead, it focuses on humanizing those who have mental illnesses. Lilley said, “It combined treating mental illness with reality, and it didn’t sugarcoat how bad things could get but there were all these moments with grace and humor.”

The situations set up by director David O. Russell give the audience an option of whether to like the characters or not. This is unique in a film world where most movies have a clear hero and villain. Lilley agreed, “It’s less like a formula Hollywood movie.”

Les Misérables

When the announcement that Les Misérables would have a film adaption was made, musical fanatics became excited, but wary. The stage musical is one of the most recognizable musical theatre productions and has won many awards. But will the upcoming film based on the production live up to the same standards?

Early reviews point to a resounding yes. The film stars Russel Crowe, Anne Hathaway, and Hugh Jackman, all of whom have had previous stage experience. As junior Molly Wuerz points out, one thing that makes this movie musical unique is that, “the music is played live so that the actors can really be in the moment instead of recording it in a studio months before it is even filmed…[which] makes it that much more truthful.”

She thinks that the actors and actresses’ live singing will set the film up for nominations.

Wuerz has been a big fan of Les Misérables for a while and already loves the music, and she is one of many. Many will watch to see, whether true fans will like the movie or no.

The emotional intensity of the script will draw in many votes, which is why critics say this could set the record for the most Academy Award nominations ever.

Brave

While most people over the age of nine will claim that animated films are for younger people, these films can sometimes be the movies that people truly enjoy.

It is possible that the film Brave will be nominated for Best Animated Picture.

Brave focuses on Princess Merida, wielding archery skills that set her apart from Cinderella and Snow White, who goes against the old traditions of her kingdom.

Merida makes plenty of mistakes throughout the movie—including one terrible wish—and brings a more relatable view than most other fantasy movies.

Sophomores Joy Harlynking and Emma Shackelford believe that Brave has a good chance of being nominated.

Shackelford said that this movie is different from other Disney movies because, “it does not degrade women or show them as weak.” This may not have a big impact though, since a majority of the Academy are men.

Harlynking also noticed new ideas.

“Usually Disney movies just have the mother that dies and gets killed off, but this [movie] actually shows the relationship of the mom and daughter together.”

If these plotlines don’t garner attention, maybe the great animation will.

Harlynking observed this while watching and commented that, “every strand [of her hair] was moving perfectly.”

While Brave is clearly targeted at a younger audience—showed through instances in which timing was a little too perfect and through the few chase scenes—it can be enjoyed by many age groups.

The message of trust in family and being confident is shown throughout the film and are themes that are not often addressed.

One drawback is that it was released a few months ago. Its biggest competitions in this category, including Frankenweenie and Wreck-it Ralph, were recently released and are still fresh in viewers’ minds. The creative and unique plotline of Brave makes it worthy of at least a nomination.

Lincoln

This historical drama is directed by the one and only Steven Spielberg, which may already secure it a few nominations.

The film follows Abraham Lincoln, played by Daniel-Day Lewis, while he is in office and trying to pass the 15th amendment.

Sophomore Matthew Christopher described the movie as “phenomenal” and said it “was one of the best things Spielberg has done in this decade.”

Many say that the best part of the film is Lewis, whose performance is confident, yet subtle.

Lincoln shows an authentic view of a president that is usually presented as one-note. The film works hard to retain the historical accuracy and doesn’t step over any tricky discussions, which often happens in films that involve slavery. Christopher said that this film version of Lincoln is different than most interpretations. “Obviously in a movie, the details tend to get embellished but in general it was pretty historically accurate, and I’m glad they did not portray Lincoln as a god-like figure [but as] a guy who is willing to bend the law to get what he wanted.”

Another positive is Sally Field playing Mary Todd Lincoln. She played an important role in this part of history, and stands out from many First Ladies, specifically in that time period. Christopher agrees and says that if anyone were to get a nomination from Lincoln it would either be Field or Day-Lewis.

The film clearly rivals Argo because of its similar genre. They seem to have other similar positive attributes, including a strong leading male presented as a hero and a well-known director. This could possibly split the votes in the Academy of those who enjoy historical films, letting films such as Silver Linings Playbook or Les Misérables gain more votes for Best Picture.

The film is interesting even if you think you know all the details of the story.

The plotline gives a personal level to the story we all know from history class.

Argo

Argo had Oscar buzz before it was even released.

Starring and directed by Ben Affleck, this thriller is based on the rescue of six US diplomats by CIA operative Tony Mendez during the 1979 Iranian hostage crisis.

The movie received excellent reviews from many critics, but some said that the film did not depict the Iranians accurately.

As someone who finds most historical movies too slow, I found Argo to be brisk.

A viewer doesn’t have to know a lot about the topic to be able to follow the movie.

Argo has a good chance of not only being nominated, but also taking home many awards. Historical films have done well in the past.

The King’s Speech was the big winner in 2011, and The Artist took home many awards this past year.

Both took place in the twentieth century, as did Argo.

French teacher Vanessa Spallone was completely impressed by this film.

She believes its strength was the “superb” actors. She also “liked the fact that it was not fiction. It really happened.”

While some argue the action in the movie was too drawn-out, many, such as Spallone, enjoyed the suspense.

She said the best part of the film was that she “was on the edge the whole time. I haven’t seen a movie where there is so much tension.”

She said she only remembered few details of the event since she was young when it happened, but she still found it easy to follow.

This movie is one in which you can fully immerse yourself and spend two hours in 1979.

The film pays close attention to the details to make you aware of the time period.

Little details, such as the old TV in the corner of the room, remind you that this happened not so long ago.