New albums push artists back into spotlight

• Daft Punk It’s hard to think of a modern electronic group that has been more influential than Daft Punk. With hits such as “One More Time,” “Around the World,” and the Kanye West-sampled “Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger,” Daft Punk spawned the idea of modern electronic dance music. After an eight year gap, Daft Punk is gearing up to release their fourth studio album. Other than a few soundtracks, Daft Punk has been pretty quiet lately. The album, which was teased on the March SNL, is supposed to be released this spring. With confirmed collaborations with Animal Collective’s Panda Bear and Giorgio Moroder, Daft Punk will surely push just as many boundaries as they did for their first three releases.

• Justin Timberlake After a five year hiatus from his music career, Justin Timberlake is back. Taking time off to do acting and to support companies like Sony and MySpace, Timberlake made his comeback with his new single “Suit & Tie,” which peaked on the Billboard charts at number four. Now, he’s getting ready to release his third album, The 20/20 Experience, on March 15. After his last album produced six singles, including “SexyBack” and “My Love” in 2006, his new album is sure to follow suit and make a few more. His second single, “Mirrors,” has already been released in Europe but will be out in a few weeks in the states. Although he hasn’t made a solo album in the last five years, Timberlake hasn’t completely left the music scene, collaborating with artists such as Madonna, The Lonely Island, Leona Lewis, and Timbaland on their singles. With a large group of hits under his belt, Timberlake may release what may be his most successful album ever created.

2013 is set to be a comeback year for many musicians and bands alike. With several albums coming out this spring that will transform the year’s music spectrum, it’s hard to pick which ones will be the best and brightest. Here are a few upcoming releases that I believe will make a splash in the modern music scene.