Orlando turns into a winter wonderland

Skiing, snowball fighting and snowman building are fun, but if you’re staying in Florida for the holidays, they aren’t really possible. Thankfully, there are plenty of fun things to do in town! From ice skating to checking out some impressive ice slides to, watching the Nutcracker, there are tons of things to do this holiday season.

The Nutcracker: Going to see the Nutcracker is pretty much a timeless tradition in my family. The plotline of the ballet includes a little girl named Clara who gets a nutcracker from her god-father at a Christmas party. After the party ends, she falls asleep and dreams that giant rats invade her house. Her nutcracker comes to life and fights them off. After he kills the Rat King, the nutcracker takes Clara to the land of sweets where different citizens perform for them. She returns home and then wakes up to find her Nutcracker back in toy form. Ballet might seem like a drag but if you actually go to see it, it’s pretty impressive! Girls dance on their toes and hold their legs above their heads while guys lift the girls over their heads. Plus, you’ll get to see Trinity students perform in it!
When: Friday December 19th 7:30pm, Saturday December 20th 7:30pm, Sunday October 21st 2pm
Where: Dr. Phillips Center for the Performing Arts
How Much: $43.75-$93.00 (depending on where you want to sit)

Winter in the Park: You can always have a fun time with iceskating, and you don’t have to be a pro to go. On Park Avenue, you can rent skates and twirl around the rink all day long. Warning: You may be pretty sore after taking a few spills in the rink, but it’s worth it! If you get hungry while you’re skating, food and drinks are for sale right next to the rink.
When: November 14- January 11
Where: Corner of New York Avenue and Morse Boulevard
How Much: $12 (includes skates)

ICE at Gaylord Palms: The exhibition features more than two million pounds of hand-carved ice sculptures. This year’s theme is actually The Nutcracker and as you walk through the sculptures, you get to relive some of the best scenes from the ballet accompanied by the original Tchaikovsky score. There are even four giant ice slides that you can slide down. Definitely bring a jacket, or three, if you are going to this exhibit!
When: November 15, 2014 – January 4, 2015
Where: Gaylord Palms
How Much: $29.99 Adults, $28.99 Seniors (ages 55+), $16.99 Children (ages 4 – 12)