Fascinatingly furious: “The Fate of the Furious” review

Courtesy of IMDb

Director Felix Gary Gray brings back the Furious franchise in a new and fresh way; warning about the dangers of technology.

The film begins with Dominic Toretto, a.k.a. Dom,  (Vin Diesel) in Havana on his honeymoon, when a dangerous hacker named Cipher (Charlize Theron) turns his world upside down. Former D.S.S. agent, Luke Hobbs (Dwayne Johnson) has called Dom to get the team together for another mission, and that’s when Dom goes rogue. They don’t know it yet, but he’s been swayed into betraying them by Cipher herself. With the help of Ian Shaw (Jason Statham), a new-comer to the Furious family and the villain of Furious 7, the team attempts to track Dom down—all in an effort to determine why he’s turned on them in a tale of deception, family and heart.

The danger of technology is represented through the main villain, Cipher, and truly plays a large part in the film—serving as a warning to humanity in today’s society. The theme of family, as always, prominently displays itself in “The Fate of the Furious”bringing actual human emotion to the characters.

The film presents violence in a fashion that makes it seem almost comedic and enjoyable. Staple actors make a return to the film in the form of Vin Diesel, Dwayne “The Rock” Johnson and Michelle Rodriguez. It makes many subtle nods to previous films in the series that will surely bring a grin to the face of any long time fan. The plot of the movie is definitely fictionalized in many scenes, but just the sheer amount of unique and over-the-top action makes up for it (Especially the zombie car scene).

“The zombie car sequence was something that was really, really fun,” Gray told Slashfilm. “There’s so much action in this movie! I’m thinking through all of it.”

This major motion picture is done in a truly unique way through the use of cyber warfare and the fact that one of the team members plays the role of the antagonist. It really displays the chemistry of the stellar cast and shows the history of the franchise as a whole. “The Fate of the Furious” is certainly the culmination of everything you love about the Furious series and is definitely worth seeing.