Buskirk belays college process

Peter Van Buskirk offers his empirical knowledge regarding college admissions, enlightening those uncertain about the process.

Author, speaker, former admissions professional and consultant, Peter Van Buskirk has had a unique look at the college admissions process. On Nov. 14, Buskirk addressed both the junior and sophomore classes on “The Admission Game.”

“The Admission Game” is only one of the many programs that Van Buskirk’s company offers to high schools. He has spoken to more than 2,000 high schools and usually delivers several programs every week. Fortunately, he has a staff of former deans/director of admissions to back his venture. His company, Best College Fit, focuses on college orientation programs for students. With his team to back him up, Van Buskirk tours high schools around the world, introducing new perspectives on college admissions.

After graduating from Bucknell University, Van Buskirk spent more than 25 years working in selective college admissions. He spent 12 years as Dean of Admission at Franklin & Marshall College before joining Peterson’s, an online guide to college information. Later, he participated in Harvard’s Management Development Program. Furthermore, he is a 35-year member of the National Association of College Admission Counseling. His cumulative experiences have led to opportunities to present at more than 2,000 schools, both internationally and domestically.

Van Buskirk’s former job experiences include being a recruiter, evaluator of talent, admission strategist and director of athletics. Having been in a variety of positions in the admissions process, Van Buskirk has the ability to share a comprehensive perspective on the admissions decision. An ode to his accomplishments and influence in the admissions world, his biography on bestcollegefit.com characterizes Van Buskirk as “a staunch advocate for students, and parents [who] … cuts through institutional rhetoric to give direction to tens of thousands of college-bound students worldwide each year.”

“I hope to equip students with the right tools to be interested in their college decision,” Van Buskirk said.

The company aims to help you gain entrance into your best fit college. Van Buskirk emphasized that a high rate of selectivity doesn’t equate to a good college for you. Additionally, Van Buskirk said that he hopes his series of programs will allow students to be in a better position to compete in college admissions.

“My purpose is to teach people how to think about the decision [for colleges],” Van Buskirk said. “My company developed solely out of a desire to get out in front of as many people as possible.”

Having previously spoken at many high schools, Van Buskirk was able to effectively answer student questions. In his program, “The Admission Game,” he described the general college process and addressed myths about the admissions process. For example, in response to a student-asked question, Van Buskirk said need-blind financial aid is only theoretical and non-existent. In order to truly be financially need-blind, colleges would need to provide the service to all students, which they don’t. Buskirk hoped to patch the gap between the rhetoric heard from colleges and reality.

“The whole college process has changed,” Van Buskirk said. “It used to be straightforward. Now it is something that is more like a business. Families were not being informed about the reality of college admissions. That was disconcerting to me.”

At the conclusion of his program, he listed his keys to success in college admissions. His principles for getting into your best-fit college include “knowing yourself, knowing what you are getting into, making good choices, telling your story and believing in yourself.” If you still doubt your judgment, Van Buskirk has advice on how to know if you’ve found the perfect fit college for you.

“The best college for you will always be the one that values you for what you have to offer,” he said.