• May 9AP Exams

Wilbur’s Lasting Legacy

In the fall of 1998, Lynn Wilbur started her first year as a mathematics teacher at Trinity. In the 26 years since, Wilbur has certainly made her mark on the Trinity community. Her son Eric graduated from Trinity in 2003 and went on to be a CFB National Champion at the University of Florida as a punter. More recently, her granddaughter Karlee Moody graduates last year and now attends Florida Atlantic University.

Over her years at Trinity, Wilbur has taught both Pre-Algebra and Algebra courses and has learned a lot from all the students she’s taught over the years surrounding her curriculum. 

“[They have] made me a better teacher,” Wilbur said. “I have the flexibility to make changes if I need to. If they’re not getting it, I can totally just stop, go back and figure out another way to do it.”

Wilbur has had various memories over her career at Trinity, forming strong bonds with teachers and students alike. Assistant Controller Karen Cary’s daughter, Tiffany, helped Wilbur during her first year of teaching. 

“I’m in my classroom, basically thinking …’Oh, my goodness, what am I going to do here,’ and this little seventh grader pops in my door,” Wilbur said. “‘She said, ‘Hi, I’m Tiffany. My mom said that you’re brand new here and I thought I would come down and see if you need any help.’”

Wilbur’s friendship with her former student has made an everlasting impact on her life until this day.

“I have held her children when they were born, I’ve done baby showers with her, she is a dear friend of mine now and we’ve bonded ever since,” Wilbur said. 

Wilbur has formed strong bonds with her colleagues, especially with English teacher Georgia Parker.

“They mean the world to me, seriously, I would not be the person that I am right now if it weren’t for those people, I wouldn’t have even made my first year here,” Wilbur said. “There are some people that I would trust with my life. I know that if anything were to come up even after I’m gone from here. If I needed something, those are people I could reach out to and I knew that they would be there for me.”

For Wilbur, the Trinity community has offered her continuous support. Wilbur recalls one of her most memorable experiences at Trinity was after her husbands passing in 2011, when students and teachers offered their comfort and friendship. 

“I had people from Trinity at my house that night, and they were there for me,” Wilbur said. “I don’t think I would have made it without my friends here. And it wasn’t just my colleagues, it was students also.”

After 40 years of teaching, Wilbur said she’s unsure of what she will do after retiring, but mentioned continuing her passion for teaching through tutoring.

“I have 10 grandchildren so that’ll take up a lot of time,” Wilbur said. “I can tutor because I do it a lot right now and I actually enjoy tutoring because it’s one on one, and I actually can see the results practically right away.”

Though her retirement ends a significant chapter in her life, Wilbur will be remembered by her dedication and passion for not only math, but the Trinity community, allowing her legacy to live on.