Teens should mimic Young Democrats’ political activism

The election season has certainly been an interesting time and it captivated many Trinity Prep students at the beginning of this school year. The Young Democrats were active in the community and did their part to push Obama’s campaign for reelection forward. I have to say I am extremely proud to have been a part of this fine group. Having the privilege of being President of the Young “Dems” has been one of the most rewarding experiences of my life so far. I’ve had an opportunity to lead my peers and make new friends along the way. Whether going to rallies, shouting “Dems are Gems!,” or preparing every day for a week to make just a one minute speech, the Young Democrats embraced Obama 2012.

Personally, I find politics fascinating, and I think everyone should take part in the political process.

Young people, especially, ought to realize their political importance and take advantage of it. Many kids my age don’t feel connected to politics simply because they cannot vote, but I say that is all the more reason to take action. If we cannot vote we must voice our opinion and mobilize voters so that we can be heard. This way we can promote policies shaped to benefit our generation in the future.

Keep up with current events, read multiple news sources and analyses, and take an educated stand on important issues. If we do that as young, up-and-coming adults of the United States, the future will undoubtedly be better.

I’m not saying that everyone should agree on every issue, but if young Americans know their history and can stay knowledgeable about current events, the politics and politicians of the future will be much more productive. One day, we will be in charge, and we ought to be prepared.

Getting involved in the political process doesn’t only consist of keeping up with the issues, but going out into the community and taking an active role.The Young Dems organized two days full of canvassing and knocking on doors the weekend before the election with great success. “I wasn’t sure that it would be any fun and that we would just get the door shut on us,” junior Kevin Sturn said. “Even though people sometimes didn’t answer their doors, I had a great time!” Toni Cross made phone calls to potential voters starting months ahead of the election. “I really enjoyed making the calls! I contacted hundreds of voters and I felt like I really made a difference,” she said.

Being liberals, we like to have a little fun too, and we are lucky to live in a swing state. Multiple rallies came to Central Florida and the Young Dems almost always made an appearance. “I was really excited to see one of the best public speakers talk about Obama and help us get excited about the election!” said junior Kelsie Glinski-Boyd, reacting to Bill Clinton’s speech at a rally on International Drive.

Attending rallies and grassroots events are also great, fun ways to participate in politics! They inform voters, mobilize the base, and inspire many to volunteer for the cause. There are also opportunities for “15 seconds of fame,” as I appeared on MSNBC, Wesh 2, Fox News, and in the paper after one rally at the University of Central Florida!

History teacher Sam Stewart has been a great club sponsor and leader. When asked, he said “I’m very pleased with the interest show by such a large number of students in the issues that face the country. I am really proud of some of the members of the club who have gone above and beyond to participate in the political process.”

Stewart also helped coach and time speakers in the week before the debate. Everyone who participated achieved the goal of respectful, positive, and constructive discourse. I cannot stress the importance of respect enough in politics.

There is no way your opposition will respect you if you do not respect it. No good will come of angry, disrespectful bickering either. Simply put, treat others how you want to be treated.

Now that the heat of the election is over and interest in politics in America is subsiding, my main goal is for the Young Democrats to stay alive, because being a Democrat is not something that happens every four years. Lawmaking, governing, and political debate occurs every day in the United States. For that to mean anything requires support for the different parties and policies all the time.

Political groups of all kinds should strive to stay alive and focus on advocating their stance on important issues. Hold fundraisers, contact representatives and Senators en-masse about issues, and work to keep your party alive in the off-year elections. That doesn’t mean staunch partisanship or rivalry; however, because cooperation is key in a country as diverse as the United States of America.

As I said before, young people are one of the most important voices in politics because one day we will be running the country.