Stuck between a rock and a hard place?

Stuck between a rock and a hard place?
Courtesy of libertarianporcupine.org

There is an alternative to the two-party mindset.

What do Billie Joe Armstrong, the creators of South Park, Neal Peart and Clint Eastwood have in common?  They are libertarians.

Many people are alienated from conservatives because of their stance on issues like interventionist foreign policies and support of the NSA.

Others don’t like liberals because of gun control, higher taxes and an expansion of the welfare state.   Many Americans feel there that is not an option that reflects their beliefs, and as a result,

there is a record number of independent voters.  Many of them don’t feel like they belong in the two categories that have defined American politics.   Whether they realize it or not, many of these independents hold libertarian views.

Libertarianism combines principles from the Republican and Democratic parties to promote a much less intrusive government.

Libertarians embrace individual responsibility, oppose the bureaucracy and taxes, and tolerate diverse lifestyles.   They support maximum liberty, both in personal and economic matters; they want a smaller government that simply protects individuals from coercion and violence.

Faculty sponsor of the TPS Libertarian Club, William Milsten said that many students at the campus feel that they are Republicans because they want limited government.  However, he said, “After talking with many of these Republicans, they come to the realization they are libertarians.  This even happens with Democrats, too.”

However, the GOP and libertarians disagree on key social issues, which differentiates libertarians from Republicans and shapes their advocacy.

Just because many libertarians fight for these issues does not mean they want to participate in them.  They simply believe that government enforcement is not necessary and harmful to the individual.

Libertarians are also fighting for scaled back security; they are opposed to NSA monitoring and to placing the U.S. army abroad in an attempt to build democracies.

They argue that such policies come with the large cost of lives, money, anti-American sentiment, a loss of freedoms and privacy.

Libertarians want strong defense for America but believe it becomes overpowering with these types of results.

The mentality is represented in the mascot–a porcupine, which will not bother others, but will fiercely defend itself.

If you agree with these ideas of liberty and a less intrusive government, don’t be afraid to call yourself a libertarian.  Don’t let myths decide your views.  We don’t cover our cars in bumper stickers or have cult worshipping.

As with any other political ideology, some people are more extreme than others.  If you don’t agree with these people, don’t let them scare you away from being a libertarian.  If you support a limited government and maximum liberty, then try to accept the label “libertarian.”

You don’t even need to vote for the party’s candidates; libertarianism is more of a philosophy and can be found across party lines.  Most libertarians vote for Republican or Democrat candidates who fit their criterion

The Libertarian Party website (www.lp.org) says, “Think of us as a group of people with a ‘live and let live’ mentality and a balanced checkbook.”  It’s that simple.