Lessons a textbook can’t teach

class of 2018 offers life advice to younger students

At this point in the year, the senior class is buzzing with anticipation: APs are quickly approaching, graduation is scarcely a month away and the reality of moving out is sinking in. Despite all of the excitement that pushes seniors out of Trinity’s doors, the class of 2018 can’t help but feel a little nostalgic. As the seniors reflect on their Trinity careers, they recognize that they will leave Trinity with more than knowledge and a diploma: they will also leave with some valuable life advice. Here are some of the key lessons the senior class learned that they want to pass along to the Saints that will remain on the campus next year.

STRESS LESS

No Trinity student is a stranger to stress—the classes are rigorous and demanding. But the senior class will leave campus with two main lessons about their outlook on work: perspective and respect. Senior Mark Manglardi expressed that school can be overwhelming, but at the end of the day, all you can do is your best.

“I wish I knew not to sweat the little things so much,” Manglardi said. “Just worry about the bigger picture in life; the monthly goals, not the every-night struggles. If you’re going through school and a few assignments don’t get your 100 percent attention, don’t worry about it too much. Just try to learn from it and learn how you can be more efficient as a student.”

Senior Andrew Kotnour argued that though Trinity can be stressful, we shouldn’t solely view its rigor as a source of stress. The Trinity education is something students often take for granted.

“Realize that a lot of the teachers genuinely care and put in a lot of effort, so give them respect and don’t complain when they teach you well,” Kotnour said.

BALANCE YOUR EXTRACURRICULARS

A common theme in the seniors’ advice was that it is difficult to balance school work and extracurriculars. Truthfully, the class of 2018 does not have one clear solution that will lead students to balance, but it does stress that students should follow their own interests.

Senior Hannah Cavanaugh advises students not to take classes just because friends are taking them. Instead, Kotnour recommends, students should take the hardest courses in the subjects that interest them—school should be challenging in subjects that are intriguing. If a student isn’t passionate about a certain subject, they shouldn’t push themselves to take the most difficult class in that area. Instead, they should focus on what they truly enjoy.

As far as extracurriculars, the senior class emphasized the importance of finding something you love. As senior Jessie White put it, “keep trying things until you find your niche.”

At the same time, extracurriculars are often what makes school overwhelming. To avoid becoming overwhelmed, know your own limits.

“Don’t overcommit to things, because then you’re going to be miserable,” senior Reese Gawronski said. “Realize that you have four years, which people will tell you isn’t much time, but it really is. If you [balance your schedule], you’re going to have plenty of time to do almost everything you want to do.”

PUT YOURSELF OUT THERE

Finally, the seniors almost all advised younger students to try new things. When you look back on your life, you definitely won’t regret trying things—but you might regret never giving them a shot. A number of seniors wish they had joined clubs earlier on in their high school careers or regret not reaching out to different friends to cement their friendships.

The Trinity family is extremely welcoming, and chances are there are opportunities for you to try new things and meet new people all the time. Go for it. Don’t let your fear of being judged or not being good enough hold you back. You may find a friend, a club or a class that completely changes your life.

If a student doesn’t know where his or her life is headed, that is completely normal. Most seniors aren’t sure what they want to do, and even if we know, our majors will probably change repeatedly in college. But if a student does want to discover a passion, Manglardi suggests beginning with what he or she likes:

“Do what you like,” Manglardi said. “And you might not really know what you like yet, so that’s why it’s good to try a lot of things now: so you know what your interests are, you know what your passions are. Find people that share those same interests, keep them close in your life, and make the most of every day without trying to worry about the little things.”

Kenny Hill