Examining every Super Bowl contender

The NFL’s regular season has already reached the halfway point, and it is time to start determining what teams are true contenders for the Vince Lombardi Trophy and the title of Super Bowl champion.

There might be a few surprises this year, as many teams have not performed as they were expected to before the season.

Last year, the New York Giants hoisted the trophy up due to their thrilling 21-17 victory over the New England Patriots. That championship marked the second in a five-year span for the Giants.

Both organizations are once again at the top of the NFL, but there also a few other squads that will also try to figure into the mix once it is all said and done. So, let’s take a look at all franchises with realistic shots of bringing home a title.

NFC

New York Giants (7-5): The Giants have struggled the last few weeks, dropping games to both the Pittsburgh Steelers and Cincinnati Bengals. However, a recent bye week will allow the roster to recollect itself, and if there is one thing we have learned, it is to never count out the G-Men in clutch time.

Atlanta Falcons (11-1): Powered by a dominant passing game featuring quarterback Matt Ryan, receivers Roddy White and Julio Jones and tight end Tony Gonzalez, the Falcons look like they have an offense explosive enough to make a major push for a title. However, their record isn’t a true testament to their roster, as the team’s schedule has been arguably the weakest in the NFL.

San Francisco 49ers (8-3-1): The concussion to quarterback Alex Smith will significantly alter the game plan of the 49ers, but backup Colin Kaepernick played fantastic in his starting debut against the Chicago Bears. The second-year pro threw for 243 yards and two touchdowns with no turnovers against the stingy Bears’ defense. The one problem, though, is that the 49ers now have a QB controversy, as both Smith and Kaepernick have shown they can lead the team to victory.

Chicago Bears (8-4): Speaking of the Bears, this franchise is still reeling over the absence of Jay Cutler due to a concussion sustained in week ten. Cutler, who has been inconsistent in year’s past, was finally starting to tap into his potential that made him such a valuable prospect a few years ago. Now that Cutler has returned to the field, the quarterback must play cautiously. Already possessing an elite defense, a talented running back in Matt Forte and a strong receiver core, the Bears now just need to find a solution at the quarterback position.

Green Bay Packers (8-4): Just about a month ago, the Green Bay Packers were two and three, and people were questioning if this powerhouse would even acquire a playoff berth. Well, Aaron Rodgers and Co. have silenced these doubters, as the team has won five straight games. This franchise, while not having the complete package, does specialize in the passing game and forcing turnovers, which is enough for Rodgers to win the second title of his career.

AFC

New England Patriots (9-3): The Patriots are playing solid football right now, but the injury to Rob Gronkowski may stop their productive season in its tracks. This 6’7″ tight end, who broke his forearm, was one of the catalysts to arguably the best offenses in the league, and an escape valve for quarterback Tom Brady. Now Brady must rely on small, inconsistent receivers like Wes Welker, Brandon Lloyd and Julian Edelman, hoping for Gronkowski to heal in time for the playoffs.

Houston Texans (11-1): With a powerful run game and a defense that strikes fears in opposing teams, don’t expect the Texans to be quickly ousted from the playoffs. Historically, these physical teams find great success in the postseason, and this team will most likely not be an exception.

Baltimore Ravens (9-3): The Baltimore Ravens defense, which has been one of the most talented groups ever assembled in the last five years, have experienced a few setbacks that amounted to epic proportions, including the loss of Ray Lewis to a torn triceps injury. Nevertheless, the Ravens finally have an offense that can make up for the heavy blows this juggernaut has felt.

Denver Broncos (9-3): In Peyton Manning’s lone season with the franchise, the Broncos have become an elite contender in the AFC. Behind a powerful offense and a defense that manages to get to the opposing quarterback with consistency, Denver looks like a real threat to take home the title, and much of their dominance can be attributed to Manning. Tim Tebow, who?

Pittsburgh Steelers (7-5): Much like the Chicago Bears, the loss of Ben Roethlisberger to a concussion does raise doubts about whether this team has what it takes without their fearless leader. After all, this is a quarterback who has already won two Super Bowls and has all the experience a coach can ask for.

The season is winding to a close, but the most exciting portion is just beginning. Don’t blink, because this is going to be a thrilling finish.