Salas makes one last run for gold

With track and field now in full bloom, one of the major storylines of the season is Daniel Salas’s last chance to capture gold.

After one of the most decorated careers of any Trinity Prep athlete in recent history, Salas is ready to make one last championship run as the leader of the squad.

Salas, who already captured the school’s 5k record during the cross country season with a remarkable time of 15:17, has been a major contributor for the track and field team since his middle school days.

Now, Salas sets his sights on a few school records, like the 800 meter, 1600 meter and 3200 meter, but also eyes a championship for the team. After last season’s rather disappointing finish, which ended in the team coming in third place at States, Salas believes this team has what it takes to make a furious postseason run.

“This team has a lot of talent and, if a few things go right, we may surprise many people,” says Salas.

He’s not alone, though. Junior Andrew Hewitt, seniors Gordon Pace and Nathan Carrier, and Millson brothers Jessie and Sam almost certainly all make it to states, which definitely helps the team’s chances to find success. They are all motivated to make Salas’ last track season a memorable one.

However, it will be an uphill battle. The 2012 graduating class did significantly hurt the track and field team’s chances to bring home gold for the second time in the program’s history.

Grant Reynolds, Ryan Gousse, Omari Davis and Alec Sands all were fantastic athletes that greatly strengthened the depth of last year’s team, as all four of them now run for their respective colleges. Nevertheless, the team’s chances at states really fall on the shoulders (and, boy, does he have deltoids) of Daniel Salas.

Districts and regionals have become somewhat of a formality for this legend, as he hopes his best performance will come in the final meet of his high school career.

“Track and field may not be the most exciting sport to see first-person, but it would be cool to see the school come support the team,” said Salas.

If you are available on the day of April 26, 2013, I would hope you see Salas run his final race as a Saint, as this is yet again the end of a chapter to what has become another great career for a TPS runner.