1st Semester sports recap

Cross Country:

The boys cross country team did something that most teams would never dream of, they won back to back state championships. This was the sixth boys cross country state championship for the school. Trinity is one of eight other schools with six or more titles. Out of the seven regular season races, the team placed first in 5 of them. This momentum carried it into the post-season where they also won the district and regional tournament. Although Chas Cook and Jesse Millson led the team throughout the season, with PRs at 15:45 and 15:46 respectively, sophomore runner Trent Mandato had an excellent performance at the state meet. He placed fourth and it was one of his best races of the season. In post-season rankings, Flrunners.com ranked the team sixth across all classes, and it was ranked 13th in the nation among Division II schools. Count on them again next year to have a strong showing all season. This year’s girls team was led by some young stars. 7th graders Audrey McAnally and Sofia Blumenfeld they got 2nd in the district tournament this year. Along with these young runners, more than half of their team is in middle school. Their future is a bright one.

Football:

Although the football team faced early adversity, it fought back and ended the season with a winning record. By the end of the first game of the season, the team faced trouble. It was already down to its third-string quarterback. Star wide receiver Jalen Cayo lead the team until starting quarterback Jared Herron returned from his injury. Three straight wins to start out the season gave it an undefeated record going into a game against its rival The First Academy. They did lose, but they went on to win three more games to have a record of 6-4. Jared Herron account for a remarkable 24 touchdowns, 11 in the air and 13 rushing throughout the season. Even though he spent some of the season as the quarterback, Jalen Cayo caught seven touchdown passes and had a total of 668 receiving yards. He also rushed for six more touchdowns. On the other side of the football, Jack Lilley had nine sacks and 71 tackles. Jake Bentley had 112 tackles and one interception. They will try and carry over this years success and build on it next season.

Swimming:

Year after year, the swimming and diving teams are some of the top teams on campus. After an undefeated regular season on the girl’s side and a one-loss season on the boy’s side, the swimmers performed great in the postseason. This was the 3rd year in a row in which both teams finished in the top ten in the state. The boys finished 8th, and the girls placed 6th at the state meet in November, and both got second in the district and regional meets. School records and All American qualifying times were achieved left and right. Junior George Reuter broke the school record in the 100 meter fly with a time of 51.11 seconds. The 200 meter freestyle relay made up of Jackson Auer, Reese Gawronski, George Reuter and Matt Degytar made a new school record with a time of 1:26.78 . Allie Parent, Caroline White, Claire Maiocco and Grace Olivardia set a new school record of 1:43.27 minutes and also achieved an automatic All-American status. Claire Maiocco also achieved Automatic All-American status in the 100 meter freestyle while also breaking the school record with a time of 53.97 seconds. Another successful Trinity swim season is the record books.

Volleyball:

During this volleyball season, all-time and season records were broken left and right. Notably, senior setter Katie Lowe broke the career assists record and the single season record. She ended her amazing five year career by shattering the previous record and going past it by more than 400 sets. This is sure to stand for a long time. Other record breakers include Alice Beneke with kills and blocks and Katie Lowe and Julia Malone with digs. They went on to an impressive 14-11 record. Although they will lose a significant amount of seniors, the rest of the team will step up to the plate and continue their success next year.

Bowling:

They may be a small team, but they are mighty. If you don’t know anything about the bowling team, you should know that they are getting better and better as the seasons roll by. The boys team bowled to a successful 12-2 record while placing 7th in districts. This year’s captain, Andy Titorenko bowled a score higher than 200 for an outstanding 15 games. In districts, he ranked 17th out of the 62 competitors. Cameron O’Brien scored the highest in the district tournament with a score of 222. Freshman Shane O’Brien will be a key player for next year. After starting the entire season, his leadership will be a valuable asset for next year.

This season was a building year for the girls team. After reaching a 3-11 record, there will be at least 5 returning players next season. This may not seem like something notable, but these are the most returning players Coach Susan Frederick has ever had. There were many first time players including Tedi Beemer. She rolled a 148 in districts to secure the team’s highest score. Another notable bowler was Prianca Nagda. Her game average for the season was a 124.8 with a season high of 160. Expect big things from the girls and boys bowlers next season.

Golf:

Both the boys and girls golf teams continue to hold their own during the season while they compete against some of the top schools in the state. Led by 7th grader Joe Pagdin, the team placed second at districts and fifth at the regional tournament. Senior captain Nicolo Fernandez shot a season low 35 during a regular season match. Along with the post season matches, the team competed in a super six tournament, consisting of some of the top teams in the state. They placed fifth in the tournament. On the girls’ side, the varsity team finished the season with nine wins. Led by junior Hannah Hernan and freshman Olivia Wynn, the team finished second in districts and fourth overall in regionals. Wynn finished with the best score all year, an 82 at regionals. Hernan finished close behind with a low of 84. With such a young team, great success is inevitable in the near future.

Girls Weightlifting:

The Girls Weightlifting team has just completed their best season yet. Entering their fourth season as a team, girls weightlifting grew from 24 girls to 28, even after 7 seniors graduated last year. Coach Erin Miller was forced to split the team into two different practice sessions to accommodate the growing size. After recording their first winning season with a record of 5-4, 14 athletes advanced to the sub-sectional tournament, their equivalent to districts. Each school is allowed to bring the top two girls in each of the 10 weight classes. For the second year in a row, one athlete qualified for the sectional tournament by placing in the top three of her weight class. This year, it was junior Kerstin Heinrich. She is only the second girl from Trinity to reach sectionals. Two more athletes, Jessica Kotnour and Ailsa McFadyen-Mungall missed moving on by five pounds. In the regional tournament, Heinrich got personal bests in both bench and clean and placed fifth in her weight class. To cap off a remarkable season, almost all of the previous records held were broken, but who knows, they could be broken again next year.