Orlando City sees success

Orlando City sees success
Alice Beneke

For more than 25 years, Orlando has been home to only one major league sports team: the Orlando Magic. With the Magic’s diminishing success since 2011 and the ‘Dwightmare,’ local fans have been looking for another team to support. They are overjoyed to have finally found it in the newest Major League Soccer (MLS)team-the Orlando City Soccer Club.

After being a top team for four seasons in the United Soccer League Pro, Orlando City became MLS’s 21st  franchise. Playing in the Minor League served the club well, as it won the league championship in 2011 and 2013. Major League integration was an arduous process that lasted five years, but the ultimate goal was finally achieved.

Orlando City’s inaugural season kicked off March 8 at the Citrus Bowl against the New York City Football Club. Almost 63,000 fans attended to make sure they did not miss out on the start of a new era. That night, the Citrus Bowl and all of Orlando turned into a sea of purple. The atmosphere and attendance rivaled any opening day in the history of the MLS. In addition, it topped all other opening day attendances the same weekend. The game could not have been scripted any better, as captain of the team Ricardo Kaká scored a last minute goal to tie the game.

Soccer fan and Trinity Boys Varsity Soccer coach William Milsten described the inaugural game as “electric, excited, loud, and purple.” He added, “so many people were there, [the stadium] wasn’t quite ready for it.”

In future seasons, the attendance will most likely never again be this large, but the club will consistently sell out the lower bowl. Starting next season, games will be held at a soccer-specific stadium. The new stadium, which will be completed for the 2016 season, will seat about 20,000 people. This will cause problems due to the increasing popularity of the team. On the bright side, there will never be problems selling out games.

“At the games it feels like one big family partying together,” freshman soccer fan Sean Leider said. “As you walk towards the stadium, random tailgaters will offer you hamburgers and hot dogs and kids invite you to join their pick- up soccer games.”

The team’s popularity is bolstered by fan groups such as The Ruckus and The Lion Firm. They sing songs, play drums and even throw smoke bombs into the crowd. Their excitement electrifies the stadium for an entire 90 minutes.

“Inside [the stadium] the energy is in the air for all 90 minutes,” Leider said.

Because 19 players are international, fans from all over the world are drawn to watch players from their hometown play. Kaká, a Brazilian midfielder, has become one of the most famous MLS players in the country and world. Because of  Kaká, there is a large number of Brazilian Orlando City fans.

“When international people come to Orlando to go to Disney and go shopping, they will also go to games because they love Kaká that much,” Milsten said.

Soccer has traditionally been a European sport, but with the start of the MLS 20 years ago, it has slowly grown in the U.S. In Orlando, it has grown drastically within the last 5 years. European games are now broadcasted throughout the U.S., making it easier for fans to watch the games.

“Soccer has come of age in America, and Orlando is the perfect destination city,” freshman soccer player Asheligh Avallone said. “The marketing behind the team has been tremendous, and they seem to understand the target audience.”

Although Orlando city has only been an MLS team for 3 months, Orlando is already becoming a soccer town. There is a large community of Latin American and South American fans in Orlando because these people come from countries where soccer is very popular. The nature and atmosphere of soccer games appeal to a younger fan base.

Unlike Magic games, fans can buy cheap tickets and still be able to sit close to the field to see all of the action. General admission tickets, which are right behind the goal, are only $35. If you wanted to spend the same amount of money at a Magic game you would have to sit in the upper deck.

During games, downtown Orlando draws big crowds to the bars and restaurants. Church Street is at the center of the party and game day crowds. Fans arrive hours before the game and return after the game to celebrate all night. This has created a lot of business downtown and will continue to add to business all around Orlando.

Orlando is no longer thought of as just Disney World and shopping malls, but it is now a destination to watch a major league soccer team. In the early stages of the season, they have seen some rough patches as they learn to work together as a team, but the team’s record has not reflected that. They have acheived a respectable record of 2-4-2. As it continues to gain players and experience, expect great things out of the Orlando City Soccer Club.

“Orlando City is a competitive team that can challenge for a championship right away.” Leider said.

A new sports era has been born in Orlando, and its prepared to be around for the long haul.