Varsity football senior night recap

This past friday night’s matchup on October 30 wasn’t just another game for the Trinity Prep Varsity Football team. It was their opportunity to win a district championship for the first time since 1977, as well as their senior night. Fifteen minutes prior to kickoff, seniors members of the drumline, the cheerleaders, as well as the football team were recognized for their accomplishments as seniors.
One senior didn’t suit up with the rest of them though. Earlier in the day, the team lost quarterback Jared Herron to a calf injury. Herron was recently named the district player of the year and was his absence a huge loss for the Saints. The team was also missing starters offensive tackle Chad Broome-Webster and wide receiver Ikie Evans. As the clock struck 7 o’clock, freshman quarterback Spencer Fetter prepared to make his first Varsity career start.
Trinity Catholic started things off quickly by taking the opening kickoff out to midfield. Just a few plays later, the Celtics took a 7-0 lead. After a three and out on Trinity’s first possession, Trinity Catholic blocked back-up punter Carter Rhoden’s punt and take it back for six. After a converted PAT, the Celtics had a 14 point lead only four minutes into the game. After another short possession for the Saints, Trinity Catholic capitalized yet again, making the score 21-0 with five minutes left in the first quarter.
After being outplayed in the first quarter, the Saints were able to mount a comeback in the second. Following back-to-back drives that both ended in touchdowns by senior Gabe Thomas, the Saints had narrowed the gap to 21-14. With only 1:15 left to go in the first half, Trinity Prep was faced with a 4th down and 2 on the opponent’s 20 yard-line. Head Coach Mike Kruczeck decided to send the field goal unit out instead of opting to go for it, which would have tied up the game. After a missed field goal by Austin Campbell, the Celtics were able to set up a 48-yard field goal of their own with one second left after a defensive pass interference call on the Saints. The Trinity Catholic kicker bounced the kick in off the lower cross bar and gave the Celtics a 10 point halftime lead.
After a first half plagued by injuries (including starting center Alex Moll), the Saints fell apart in the second half. Trinity Catholic scored 27 unanswered points to win by a score 48-14.
While Trinity wasn’t able to claim its first district title in almost 40 years, they still boast a record of 7-2 and will advance to the Regional quarter-finals in the second week of October. Before its first playoff matchup, TPS will take on home town rival Lake Highland Prep next Friday night for the final matchup of the regular season.