Speed and Skill

Freshman Nathaneal Davis slides into the spotlight
Olivia Prince

Every great athlete has a moment in their career that sparks their passion. A moment when time stands still, creating a rushing feeling incomparable to anything else. For 9th grader Nathaneal Davis, it was when he hit his first homerun. 

“When I hit my first home run,” Davis said. “That was the day I got my confidence and drive to work hard and keep on playing the sport. At that time it was hard and I thought about quitting, but as soon as I hit that ball, I was like yeah, I got this now.”     

Although Davis started playing baseball at a young age, he didn’t always have the dedication and drive he does today. Head Varsity baseball coach Andrew Sutter started coaching Davis when he was 11 years old. Acording to Sutter, Davis had always shown exceptional athletic ability, but for the first few years of his baseball career, he lacked the skill needed to compete at a high level.

“Nate was always a great athlete from the very beginning,” Sutter said. “But he was an okay or below average baseball player. Today, he’s become one of the top freshmen, not just in the state of Florida, but nationwide, and is being heavily recruited by a lot of D1 schools.”

Davis has become the ideal athlete for any coach, due tohis unmatched speed, strength, and dedication. He worked incredibly hard to become the player he is today, and will be starting at centerfield for Trinity during his freshman year. Davis already runs a sub 7-second 60 yard dash, making him one of the faster players in the area. Along with Davis’ elite speed, he is also an incredible hitter. 

“I’m just the best at what I do,” Davis said. “I work harder than everybody and I’m not cocky, I’m confident. So there’s a difference between that because I know that I outwork everyone else.”

Davis previously played club baseball under Sutter for the Winter Park Diamond Dogs. When Sutter was given the head coaching position at Trinity this past offseason, the first person he reached out to was Davis. During his first visit, Davis impressed his new coaches and others on campus.

“He has skill sets that are years ahead of his time,” Sutter said. “Even our football coach here, Mike Kruzcek, said as soon as he saw him on the field, that he is the first guy to ever remind him of Deion Sanders.” 

One of Sutter’s primary focuses as head coach at TPS is to strengthen the school’s diversity program. He said that it is important to provide weaker academic athletes the opportunity to come to Trinity and excel on and off the field.

“I want to continue to pursue and push diversity,” Sutter said. “Bringing in athletes that are borderline students in public school, and providing them an opportunity to come to Trinity Prep and be provided the guidance and direction by both administration and our teachers here.”

During his first year at Trinity, Davis has improved both academically and athletically. Sutter believes Davis will be a great example for other student athletes. He was a slightly below average student at Avalone Middle and has become a successful student during his freshman year.

“He has continued to mature and is becoming a better student every day,” Sutter said. “I really think that he’s a perfect example of someone in the future that can help mentor young men and women that are coming in through our diversity program.”

Sutter is confident in Davis’ chances to succeed at the next level because he already possesses the skills of most collegiate athletes. Both Davis and Sutter are contacted weekly with coaches asking interested in the promising prospect. Sutter’s main involvement in the college process is to help Davis prepare for phone calls and visits with colleges interested in him. 

Sutter said getting to the professional level requires something Davis can’t control, luck. Aware of the slim chances of becoming pro, Davis is hoping that an athletic scholarship can get him into a school that will provide him the best education possible.

“My main focus is to go to college and play ball,” Davis said. “I think I’ll play good in college, and my passion is still to play in the MLB, but even if I don’t, I’d still get that chance at a good education which is important to set me up to either start my own business or work for a good job.”

Whether it be in little leagues, college, or the pros, Davis’ passion for baseball has set him apart from the rest. Davis is grateful for the game, everything its taught him, and the experiences its provided.

“I love baseball,” Davis said. “It’s important to me for so many reasons and I’ve learned a lot not just on the field, but off the field on how to take care of myself and to respect everyone no matter what circumstance.”