Between the Pines and Before the Fame

Sam Hunts new album cover
    Courtesy of Sam Hunt’s official website
    Sam Hunt’s new album cover

Sam Hunt’s new album, Between the Pines, is an interesting peek at Hunt pre-stardom. It’s an acoustic mixtape that he created before his breakout album, “Montevallo,” in 2014. There are stripped down versions of his current hits like “House Party” as well as his take on singles that he coauthored like “Cop Car.” Between the Pines will make you feel like you are at a jam session with a 2013 Sam Hunt.

“Leave the Night On”

This song is undoubtedly the song that people hear in their heads when they think of Sam Hunt and now we are able to hear what it sounded like before it became a hit. If you don’t know, it’s about having a good time and not having to go home (guess they don’t have a curfew)! Personally, I think that this song sounds better as an acoustic song.

“Cop Car”

Hunt originally co-wrote this song for Keith Urban. As romantic as it is to “fall in love in the back of a cop car” with “blue lights shining” (aka the lights on the cop car), I wouldn’t take relationship inspiration from this song. While the wild child message isn’t the best, it’s still a good listen.

“Come Over”

Another co-write from Hunt, this song was originally for Kenny Chesney. This song is probably my favorite from the album; you can really feel the emotion when you listen to it. You’ll have to listen to this one and decide for yourself whether you like country music legend, Kenny Chesney, or Hunt’s version better.

“Ex to See”

This song is a new one that fans haven’t heard before. It’s all about making your ex’s jealous, which everybody that’s gone through a breakup has wanted to do. There’s a really cool play on words in the song when you wonder if Hunt is saying “ex to see” and “ecstasy.” This song is catchy with a hook that you’ll be singing along to after the first time you hear it.