Levitan plays the keys to success

While many can say that they are able to play an instrument, few others can boast that they can play several songs from memory.  However, it would seem completely outlandish for anyone to say they could read a science textbook with ease whilst playing one of the most complex and challenging sonatas—anyone, except for Ian Levitan.  Such feats are mere child’s play for Levitan, who has captivated every student and teacher alike at Trinity with his performances in recent special assemblies. Whether it is the sight of his fingers dancing in a blur over the piano keys or his flawless delivery of such a high level of classical music, every component of Levitan’s performance is capable of entrancing the entire audience.

The senior’s prodigious ability to perfectly execute the complex melodies that lie within his repertoire allows him to make the music come alive and ensures that his performance ends in roaring applause.

However, Levitan’s success and ability did not simply grow overnight.  He has been practicing piano for nearly 13 years.  Surprisingly, his interest in the instrument began as a simple childlike desire for a prize.

“I used to go to the JCC (Jewish Community Center) where they offered piano lessons to children after school,” Levitan said.  “I noticed that they offered stickers to students who participated, which I really wanted.”

After beginning lessons, Levitan learned to play piano at an extremely fast pace.  The first day of his lessons, he was given a songbook for the year with instructions to learn the first page by the following week.  Upon returning, Levitan’s teacher was shocked to find out that not only had he mastered the first page, but he had also learned the entire book.  Although he changed instructors soon after, Levitan’s learning pace only seemed to quicken.

One month after starting piano, he had already mastered Fur Elise by using a pedal box to reach the pedals.  At age 12, he learned and mastered “Beethoven’s Waldstein Sonata,” which one of his piano teachers learned in graduate school.

“Ian has the incredible gift of not only being an innate musician, but to also hold the athletic capability to be a phenomenal pianist,” May said.

In addition, Fine Arts teacher Maureen May noted that Levitan has the rare auditory phenomenon to hear “perfect pitch.”  Perfect pitch is the ability to both easily recognize the pitch of a note and readily reproduce any given note.  In short, it is the envy of most musicians. Combined with a near perfect ability to instantly “sight read,” or play notes by reading sheet music, the pianist is able to learn new pieces with little difficulty.  He even enjoys teaching himself new classical pieces in his free time.

Despite the large amount of talent Levitan possesses, he still remains extremely modest about his skills.  May noted that in her AP Music Theory class, Levitan always waits to respond in order to help out others and give his peers a chance to answer—even though he already knows the answers to her questions himself.

Levitan remains humble in the midst of the overwhelmingly positive feedback of his performances, and he merely stated that it made him happy that people enjoyed listening to classical music.  In fact, Levitan said that he actually considered playing for assemblies prior to his senior year, but waited because he thought that people wouldn’t enjoy the genre enough.

Nonetheless, Levitan is no stranger to playing before an audience.  He has played with the Florida Young Artists Orchestra numerous times and has performed several gigs at places like the University Club and Mayflower. In addition, Levitan is excited about performing again for the students, faculty and staff.

“If I get the opportunity, I would love to play for future assemblies!” Levitan said, “I also plan on playing in the graduation ceremony.”

Levitan has received various awards, including the Grand Prize in the Concerto Competition at the Curtis Institute of Music Summerfest program.  At Curtis, one of the most prestigious music institutes in the world, Levitan competed against a diverse pool of musicians with different instruments, in addition to some vocalists, from all across the world.

Levitan plans to continue playing piano and chamber music in college, in addition to symphony orchestras if given the opportunity.

“[Levitan is] a perfect storm for something amazing to happen,” May said.