MS actors put a “Twist” on a classic

Katie Wright
    7th grader Dalton Joseph plays Oliver Twist in middle school play.

Few would think a Charles Dickens text written in 1838 would still be relevant today, but “Oliver Twist” deals with ideas that connect to modern life. Some ideas include: the reality that criminal life is all around us, the fact that women are still fighting for equality, that powerless people are often the most targeted and the internal struggle between what is right and what is wrong.

All these relevant topics are taken on in the famous 1838 book.

“This is a tough story for middle school students to tell,” director Janine Papin said. “Charles Dickens believed his stories should do more than entertain; his aim was social reform. His characters have an exaggerated quality, but his stories become mirrors which reflect the truths of the real world.”

The middle schoolers rehearsed for 2 hours 3 days a week beginning in January. All the work and effort they put into the play finally paid off on the opening weekend of April 6-9.

“Oliver Twist” tells the story of a young boy who has lived in a workhouse since he was born.

He is an orphan and wants to escape to London because the living conditions in the workhouse where he lives are awful; each child only gets a few spoonfuls of gruel to eat each day.

Twist runs away from the workhouse but is soon found by the Artful Dodger, named for his cunning skill, and a member of a gang. He takes Oliver to a secret hideout, where he meets a family of thieves led by a criminal known as Fagin.

These pickpockets are determined to make Oliver one of them. They take him down to the market and steal a handkerchief from a rich man, Mr. Brownlow, who notices them and takes Oliver back to his house. He then realizes that Oliver is very sick.

Oliver soon recovers and is captured by Bill Sikes and his girlfriend, Nancy, and taken back to the thieves’ hideout. He must make a decision: become a thief or do what is right. 

The young actors did a great job retelling the story. The play shows Oliver’s internal battle in deciding between good and evil and all the other problems in the world. It is a thrilling story tied in with good acting, which equalled an amazing play.

“The cast was the best part of the play,” 8th grader Alysia Garcia who played Mrs. Corney, the mean housekeeper at the workhouse said. “It was really fun hanging out with them backstage.”

Papin was really proud of everything the cast has achieved.

“All of these people had energy, enthusiasm, and a can-do attitude,” Papin said.