Fifteen Minutes of Corey Smith

If a cup of country music, a dash singer/songwriter, and a sprinkle of a lifetime of stories were to mix together, inevitably it would combine to form a classic Corey Smith song. Known for knowing how to have a good time and entertain, Smith has helped evolve country music while still staying true to the genre’s roots. He has released seven studio albums and hit 2011’s top 20 release charts with his most popular album The Broken Record. While working on his ninth album, he has sold out shows across the nation. The Bite talked with Smith about all things country music and a lifetime of story making.

How was your show in Orlando?

Oh we had a great time. It was a lot of fun as always…. My wife and kids were down so we got to go to Disney World that day.

You were a high school teacher after college. How did that experience affect your journey as a musician?

On one hand it kind of made me realize that making music is what I want to do, it was just part of who I was. During college when I decided to become a teacher, I really focused on that. But once I started that, I found myself writing songs when I was on my way to school or on my way back home. It was something I did as a hobby. The first two records I made, I made when I was still teaching. So I think I really learned how to make music because I enjoyed it. I wasn’t doing it because I was trying to be famous, I was happy as a teacher. I expected to retire as a teacher, and I think that allowed the music to come from a more pure kind of place. Also, the feedback from my students was also encouraging. I would play for the students on Fridays. I would try out new songs, and the feedback was always “You should be doing this for a living” or “You need to get out there.” It was just good encouragement.

When did you start making music?

Oh, I was a kid. I’ve been singing for as long as I could remember and when I was a teenager I started playing the guitar. So, it has always been a part of who I was. Then when I got out of high school I had high dreams of being a rockstar but, like I said, when I decided to be a teacher I didn’t think I was going to make a living out of doing it. That’s what music is all about, that’s what it’s supposed to be.

Do you play any other instruments other than guitar?

I play piano a bit, and I mess around with a bunch of different things like ukulele or drums, maybe percussion. But I’m not good enough at anything other than the guitar to play live.

How would you describe country music in your own words?

To me, I think country music is supposed to be the voice of a common working person. It’s supposed to convey our experiences and our emotions. Unfortunately, I don’t think that’s what country music has come to be. I think it has largely become a way to exploit the common person and get them to get money.

Do you have any country idols that you aspire to be like?

Willie Nelson is one of my favorites. I love the fact that he was a writer first and just the trajectory of his career. I like the fact that he’s still doing it after all of these years. It’s pretty amazing, I hope I’m still doing it when I’m his age.

Do you have any other genres that you like to listen to other than country?

Oh yeah, I love singer/songwriter and other genres. As much as I like Willie Nelson and Mel Haggard, I also like Dave Matthews Band and John Mayer or Paul Simon and Randy Newman.

What has working with a producer on your upcoming album been like, compared to the experience of writing and self-producing your past albums?

It’s been a lot less stressful, and it has allowed me to focus on what is important which is performing. That has made a huge difference. On the past records I was involved in every step of the process from all the stages of editing to mixing and not only recording which can be very stressful.

Can you tell us anything else about the upcoming album? Do you feel it’s different than the previous albums?

I think for some of it people will notice a huge difference. It’s going to sound a lot better; it has a lot more separation. It’s the kind of records I have always wanted to make but never could with that kind of budget. It is a very expensive prospect to make records. The profits from selling concert tickets and selling records has gone into the process of making this record. It’s the first time I will have a budget that is comparable to what major artists have had.

On the previous albums, do you have any favorite songs that you wrote?

They all vary. There are so many songs on so many records and it’s easy for me to forget about them. Sometimes I just happen to go back and listen to the records and it makes me cringe because there is a lot things that I am embarrassed by. Just mistakes I made on the records. Listening to the songs is like flipping through an old photo album or maybe watching old home movies. It can be a really moving process. One song that jumps out at me right now is, my grandfather passed away two weeks ago which was really sad, and there’s a song I wrote called “Together” and that song really moves me because it’s about my grandfather, about growing up, and my family. So, that is one song that jumps out at me right now.