Fifteen Minutes of Eli Young Band

If you’re a fan of country music, there’s no doubt you’ve started to hear a lot of buzz surrounding the talented foursome that is Eli Young Band. Their last album Life At Best garnered critical acclaim, including the double platinum “Crazy Girl” and platinum “Even If It Breaks Your Heart.” The band has had no shortage of attention, with Billboard, ACM, and Grammy awards and nominations under their belts. Make sure to look out for the group’s new album 10,000 Towns, releasing on March 4, and read below for our interview with drummer Chris Thompson.

Is there anything different on the new album that is different from the old records?

Yeah, we made this record a more up-tempo and fun record. I wouldn’t call it a party record. For us, I think this is our most fun record. The four of us are just in really good places in our lives, and I think that reflected into the record. There is just a lot of happiness and enjoying life. There are some songs that are a little bit darker, but this record is mostly just fun.

When did you decide that you wanted to make music for a living?

My parents started me out in piano lessons when I was three or four. After that, music has just always been around. I was in a school band, I played with some bands in high school, I wrote songs. It was always just a part of my life. I don’t think I ever thought of it being a career until after we all graduated college. We were out there touring and the audiences were getting bigger.

Did you have a set plan before college?

Yeah, I was going to school to eventually get into law school… that was my plan. But, that changed.

If you could go back and tell yourself something, what would you say?

I don’t think I would say anything. I think I would let the course stay the way it has been because I’ve had a really good time my whole life, really. Especially over the past 14 or 15 years. I wouldn’t want to spoil any surprises or anything.

What has been the greatest memory while on tour?

We’ve had a lot. We’ve been really fortunate to have a lot. We played all the night tv shows that we watched when we were growing up, took pictures with presidents, got to play at the Grand Ole Opry… we’ve accomplished the dream we had when we were young. There’s an endless list really.

Do you think there has been one person that has influenced your music making the most?

I think a lot of the inspiration has come from what is in the band. We all work kind of like ying and yang with each other. We are constantly pushing each other. When someone writes a song it makes us go, “Wow I could’ve written that,” and that makes us work harder.

Do you have any goals for the future?

Yeah, right now we have our new record coming out in March. We would like that record to carry us into the next level of our careers. I think right now we are headlining clubs and theaters, and we would love to have the kind of setlist like Kenny Chesney where it’s like all of these hits and everybody knows the songs. It would be nice to get to that level.

Do you have any advice for people going into the music business?

Yeah, I’d say work harder than everybody around you because if you’re not giving one hundred percent, then there is someone out there who is. I would definitely say that in an industry that is full of rejection, don’t let people say no to you or shoot you down.

What did you grow up listening to?

I grew up listening to rock ‘n’ roll. I didn’t really get into country until late high school and college. I grew up listening to a lot of alternative rock, 90’s and classic rock.

Do you have any specific classic or alternative rock bands that you would listen to?

Yeah! Pearl Jam, and of course Aerosmith. The Beatles and the Rolling Stones. The standards, you know.

Does having that rock ‘n’ roll past reflect in your music now?

Yeah, totally. I hear a lot of it when I look back at the records. Usually in the moment it’s brand new and it’s blowing your mind. But you look back a year later and you’re like, “Hey, that sounds familiar.”

What is the coolest place that you have played?

We did a Wounded Warriors benefit for President Bush. It was kind of last minute, and we just threw together the set. It was such a great cause, and I don’t think any of us thought that we would be performing in front of a president.