New “Stories” to tell for Avicii

Courtesy of Avicii’s Official Website
Avicci’s New Album Cover

I think it’s on everyone’s bucket list to attend at least one EDM (electronic dance music) festival, as it is on mine. Music artist Avicii doesn’t only get to attend the festivals, but he also gets paid to be the highlight of the show. At just 26 years old, Avicii has been performed all over world and has made at least $30 million dollars in the past year, releasing his second studio album, Stories, on October 2.  Swedish DJ Avicii is better known at the festival scene and for making music on his computer. Avicii is one of my favorite DJs, along with the Chainsmokers and Calvin Harris, as he incorporates actual instruments rather than sticking with a heavily techno sound. On his album, he pushes the boundaries by mixing rock sounds with the classic EDM beats and bass drops. The album features famous artists like Gavin DeGraw, Zac Brown, Matisyahu, Chris Martin and Martin Garrix.

“Waiting For Love

“Waiting for Love” is arguably the most popular song on this album. As the first single on the album, the song begins with what sounds like a piano solo. This leads into techno beats and the voice of Sam Aldred, the lead singer of Cherry Ghost. I promise that if you hear this song on the radio, you won’t want to change the station because of its catchy beat and easy-to-sing lyrics.

Lyric: “Wednesday my empty arms were open, Thursday waiting for love.”

“City Lights”

Unlike the rest of the album, this song sounds similar to something that you would hear at an EDM festival. Like many other DJs, the song incorporates the classic techno beats and bass drops. This song shows that Avicii certainly shows that he knows how to get the party started.

Lyric: “I’m the truth in the sky, so I’m in love with your light. ”

“Sunset Jesus”

“Sunset Jesus” immediately transports listeners back to the sun and sand of the summer. The melodies and soothing lyrics will put you in the perfect mood. Hands down, this song is my favorite because of the singer’s unique voice and is perfect for chilling on the beach or jamming in the car.

Lyric: “He once was a waiter, now he’s a savior, making money on the street.”

“Somewhere in Stockholm”

“Somewhere in Stockholm” is obviously an ode to Avicii’s hometown Sweden. Written and produced by Avicii, this song blends the beat of drum and string instruments with the soft voice of an unknown artist. Overall, this is the best song on the album because of its silky melody and crafty lyrics, focused on remembering his Swedish roots.

Lyric: “There’s a black hole deep inside of me, reminding me, that I’ve lost my backbone.”

“For a Better Day”

Addressing the topic of child trafficking, this song is like nothing I’ve ever heard before from a DJ. Avicii pushes the boundaries by mixing the folk voice of Alex Ebert and rock instruments, while the song is still categorized as EDM because it has an electric sound. Being the most dramatic song on the album, since it addresses such a heavy topic, it’ll have you clicking the repeat button.

Lyric: “Wish you could find that love is a fragile thing.”