Fifteen minutes of Chris Lane

Chris Lane might be new to the country music world, but that does not me he can’t kill it on stage. Lane began his career in 2012 after playing football and baseball for his entire life. He recently released his first EP, Fix, filled with lively and spirited music. Lane also had the experience of touring with big names such as, Florida Georgia Line, Nelly, Lee Brice, Chris Young and Dustin Lynch. The Bite had the chance to chat with him and watch him open for Dustin Lynch on Dec. 3 at the House of Blues. Lane gave an entertaining performance with his own country songs and familiar cover pop hits like “Watch Me,” “Bye Bye Bye,” “I Want It That Way” and “Can’t Feel My Face.”

I know you’ve been in the country music world for a few years now. How did you begin your music career?

Well, I didn’t grow up playing music my whole life. I actually grew up playing football and baseball. I played college baseball and thought I would end up doing that professionally. But, I had several knee surgeries that hurt my chance to play. I graduated college and moved back home. I started helping my dad with a landscaping business while also learning how to play the guitar. I joined a cover band in North Carolina. A couple years into that, I decided to write my own music, which eventually got me to where I’m at now with Big Loud Records.

Did your parents support this decision of you playing music?

Yes, I have an identical twin brother who also played baseball. My dad preached sports our whole lives, and that’s all I really knew how to do. My brother got drafted out of college, but decided not to play and my dad was pretty crushed. As crazy it is for me to think I believe, my dad loves music more than he ever loved football and baseball, which is very hard for me to believe. My parents are very supportive of my decision to play music.

Where do you get your inspiration to write music?

For writing, I really just got it from songs I grew up liking. I loved different kinds of music my whole life, and I think the average country music fan is the same exact way. When I first sat down to start to write, I didn’t actually know where to begin. But I knew what songs I liked and what I liked to hear in songs, and I just tried to mimic that in my own way. I only wrote about what I wanted to sing about. It’s fun being creative especially when the song comes to life and to take it out on stage and people start singing your song back to you.

You have been opening for a lot of really big country names. What has the experience been like? What have they taught you about performing?

No doubt I’ve been lucky to be on the road with these big names. As you know, I’ve been on tour with Lee Brice, Florida Georgia Line and Nelly. I’m out with Dustin Lynch right now and being a young artist like I am, all this is just a learning experience. When I was out with Florida Georgia Line, I just saw how they performed and really owned the crowd every single night. This helped me and my performance because I stood behind the guitar a lot. It helped me to see other people running around on stage crazy which led to me dropping my guitar because I wanted to perform a similar way to them. I was always drawn to Keith Urban, and he was the sole reason I wanted to learn how to play the guitar. I was always drawn to his concerts and how he performed. Early on when I was on that cover band I played a lot of Keith Urban songs and literally began mimicking him. It is kind of funny to think about now, but I thought it was cool back then.

Would you love to perform with Keith Urban? Is he the reason you got into music?

Oh my gosh, yes, that would be amazing. Yeah no doubt as I said he is the sole reason I even wanted to learn how to play the guitar.

Who has been your favorite artist to open for?

I’ve loved all the artist I’ve opened up for, but Brian and Tyler from Florida Georgia Line really have taken me under their wing and helped me even when they didn’t have to. I’m forever thankful for those guys, but I’ve enjoyed everybody I opened up for. Super thankful for these opportunities because it helps to get in front of a sold out crowd every night.

What is your favorite memory from touring?

When I was out with Florida Georgia Line and Nelly, we got to take batting practices before all the shows. So, coming from playing college baseball that was a good treat for me.

What’s your favorite song on your album Fix?

I have a lot of favorite songs, but “Fix,” my debut single, is definitely one of them that we’re pushing to radio right now. Another favorite of mine is “For Her.” That seems to be one that everybody is liking. “Saturday Night” is one of my favorite songs to perform because that one is kinda like my party song.

What goals do you have for future albums?

Mainly, just get a full record out. Hopefully some time early next year I’ll finish my EP that I have out now and it makes a full record. We already have a couple songs recorded, and I’m really excited about the potential of all of it.

Lastly, describe your sound in three words.

Fun, sexy and energetic.