Best Halloween movies (scary and non-scary edition)

Courtesy of IMDb

Although it’s only the middle of October, it’s never to early to gather all your friends and binge watch your favorite Halloween movies. Whether you like scary movies, funny or anything in between, here’s your guide for the best scary and non-scary Halloween movies of all time.

Not So Scary Edition

1. “Halloweentown”

“Halloweentown” is the classic Halloween movie, and it has been one of my favorites for as long as I can remember. “Halloweentown” follows Marnie Piper who seems like an average 13 year old who just wants to enjoy Halloween with her friends by going trick-or-treating. There’s just one thing stopping her: her mother. For no clear reason, her mom doesn’t let Marnie and her siblings celebrate. It is later discovered that Marnie is actually a witch; she and her siblings escape to Halloweentown with her grandmother. In the movie, we get to follow all of Marnie’s crazy adventures.

2. “Monsters Inc.”

Although “Monsters Inc.” isn’t necessarily intended to be a Halloween movie, it will definitely get you in the mood for Halloween with all of the fun-loving monsters. Starring John Goodman as Sulley and Billy Crystal as Mike Wazowski, it follows the two monsters who work at Monsters Inc. as “scarers.” Mike and Sulley become very attached to a little girl nicknamed Boo and end up taking care of her. This is such a classic Disney movie and a great one to add to your Halloween movie marathon.

3. “Ghostbusters”

“Ghostbusters” is the original Halloween movie. Peter Venkman (Bill Murray), Raymond Stantz (Dan Aykroyd) and Egon Spengler (Harold Ramis) form a paranormal investigation and elimination service that is called to the New York Public Library to investigate recent paranormal activity. The trio soon adds a fourth member, Winston Zeddemore, (Ernie Hudson), to its elite squad and are successful  in catching ghosts in this comedic movie.

4. “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown”

Of all of the Peanuts movies, “It’s the Great Pumpkin, Charlie Brown” is by far my favorite. This movie is based off of the comic strip “Peanuts” written by Charles M. Schulz. This movie involves the entire Peanuts gang preparing for Halloween. One of my favorite parts of the movie is when Charlie receives nothing but rocks while trick-or-treating. This classic Halloween movie is perfect for all ages and will surely set you in the autumn mood.

5. “Hocus Pocus”

“Hocus Pocus” is another one of my favorite Disney Channel Halloween movies! The movie begins when three friends accidentally release a coven of evil witches into the house that the witches used to live in hundreds of years ago. The children must all work together by stealing the evil witches’ book of spells so they can stop the witches from becoming immortal.    

Scary Edition

Halloween is time for candy, costumes and most importantly being scared. If you’re one who loves to be scared with the most terrifying movies check it on our movie list. It has all the best movies to frighten you on Halloween.

1. “Halloween”

Of course a movie with the title “Halloween” would have to be on any Halloween movie list. “Halloween” is about Michael Myers who is a mental patient convicted of killing his sister when he was six years old. He is returning to his quiet hometown of Haddonfield, Illinois where he  is looking for his next victims. It stars Jamie Lee Curtis who plays the strong female lead who is able to escape Myers. If you are in the mood to be scared on Halloween this is the perfect film for you.

2. “Scream”

“Scream” directed by the horror king, Wes Craven, is a classic film for Halloween. In the sleepy town of Woodsboro, California a ghost face killer is on the loose. Sidney Prescott (Neve Campbell) and her friends set out to find him, but little do they know the killer is among them. “Scream” is the perfect slasher film because it does have its cheesy moments to keep you from actually screaming.  

3. “The Conjuring”

Scary movies are especially scary when they are about true events. “The Conjuring” is about paranormal investigators, Ed and Lorraine Warren, who investigate the home of the Perrons. Taking place in 1970, the secluded house is being haunted by a supernatural presence with its manifestations. To stop it the Perrons hire Lorraine and Ed, but what they find out will leave you terrified.

4. “Friday the 13th”

You might want to keep the light on while watching this one. “Friday the 13th” is about Jason Voorhees, the hockey masked murderer of Crystal Lake, stalking a newly opened summer camp on Crystal Lake. Even though locals warned the camp about its history of murder, the young counselors still opened the camp. As the camp goers are slashed, shot and stabbed, the counselors struggle to stay alive against the merciless Jason Voorhees.

5. “The Purge”

Even though “The Purge” isn’t as scary as the rest on the list, it does deserve its praise for trying to make a somewhat intelligent point. It’s about a new America where one night a year you can commit any crime – including murder – without facing consequences. One family struggles to stay alive after their house has been broken into by vicious masked intruders. “The Purge” won’t scare you so much in the theaters, but it will make you think of a scary new America.