New Year, new shows

Courtesy of IMDB
Courtesy of IMDB

As 2017 begins and new year resolutions are made, T.V. lovers find themselves watching the newest season of their favorite shows. They wait anxiously for the latest season of their favorite show to return after the finale that left everyone on a cliffhanger.  

New Shows

One Day at a Time (Netflix, Friday, Jan. 6)

“One Day at a Time” is a Netflix original series based on the 1975 T.V. show of the same name. Thirteen episodes of the American sitcom were released on Jan. 6. The show is about a Cuban-American family. Penelope who is a separated military veteran is raising a clumsy teen son and a headstrong feminist daughter. To help Penelope balance her busy schedule her mother, Lydia helps out with chores and the kids.

A Series of Unfortunate Events (Netflix, Friday, Jan. 13)

The “How I Met Your Mother” star, Neil Patrick Harris, stars in the new Netflix series, “A Series of Unfortunate Events.” The new American drama is based on the children’s book series by Lemony Snicket. Three kids become orphans after a mysterious fire kills both of their parents. As the kids attempt to uncover their family secrets, they have to go through many obstacles such as a reptile room, a wedding with alarming insinuations, and relatives who they have never met before.

Big Little Lies (HBO, Sunday, Feb. 19)

Based on the Liane Moriarty book, three women deal with problems ranging from domestic abuse to kids. The women’s “perfect” lives begin to unravel when a murder occurs. Well known celebrities such as Nicole Kidman, Reese Witherspoon, Alexander Skarsgard, Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern and Adam Scott star in the comedic drama.

Your Favorite Shows are Back

Sherlock (PBS, Sunday, Jan. 1)

Sherlock and Watson are back to solve more mysteries. Benedict Cumberbatch stars as Sherlock Holmes alongside Dr. Watson played by Martin Freeman as they return to PBS for season four of the crime drama. The new season has many plot twists and action that will add to the plot of the show. Three seasons of “Sherlock” are already on Netflix.

Madam Secretary (CBS, Sunday, Jan. 8)

Washington’s favorite Secretary of State, Elizabeth McCord, has returned and is ready to get back to international affairs. The political television show has the Secretary of State trying to find a balance between her work and family life. “Madam Secretary” has the first two seasons on Netflix.

The Young Pope (HBO, Sunday, Jan. 15)

Jude Law stars in the second season of the HBO series, “The Young Pope.” Law plays the controversial Pope Pius XIII. After being elected as the pope, Pius XIII wants to advance the Catholic Church to be more conservative. The series is an Italian-English language drama. Watch the first season on HBO.com.

Grey’s Anatomy (ABC, Thursday, Jan. 19)

McDreamy and McSteamy are both dead, and Meredith Grey is now head of general surgery. “Grey’s Anatomy” returns after the winter finale for the rest of the 13th season. Ellen Pompeo’s Meredith Grey and Justin Chambers’ Alex Karev battle with Alex’s trial for domestic violence. The medical drama has many new characters and will continue to have more drama throughout the rest of the season. Seasons one through twelve are on Netflix.

Scandal (ABC, Thursday, Jan. 19)

Attention all gladiators, Olivia Pope is back solving crimes in Washington. As her romance scandals continue, she helps the president’s ex-wife, Mellie Grant, win the presidential election. If you want to be caught up on “Scandal’s” previous three seasons, watch them on Netflix.

Jane the Virgin (CW, Monday, Jan. 23)

Everyone’s favorite telenovela starring Gina Rodriguez returns. Jane, a religious Latina virgin, gets artificially inseminated by mistake. Jane has to balance her writing life, married life, and her son along with the drama of drug lords and multiple love interests. Netflix has the first two seasons of the series.