69th Primetime Emmy Awards

This years Emmy Awards was definitely a one to remember as history, and memories were made. The award show started off with a skit and a very risqué speech by the host Stephen Colbert criticizing Donald Trump in front of the audience, which made for a little awkwardness in the crowd. But the tension soon faded as everyone was reminded of the year’s best TV shows.

The big winners this year included television drama “The Handmaid’s Tale” on Hulu, limited series “Big Little Lies” on HBO, and comedy series “Veep,” also on HBO. “The Handmaid’s Tale” was the first to win from streaming, and received the Outstanding Drama Series. Based off of the novel, “The Handmaid’s Tale” uncovers the oppressive lives of handmaids, and all of the freedom that was taken from them. The winner of the Outstanding Limited Series, “Big Little Lies” also based off of a novel, is a dark comedy about murder in a small town starring Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman and Shailene Woodley. Lastly, recipient of the Outstanding Comedy Series, “Veep” is an American political satire comedy series starring “Seinfeld” Julia Louis-Dreyfus.

Many actors received special recognition for their acting in their television series, which are very highly regarded awards. Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) made history as he received the Lead Actor in a Comedy Series and Directing for a Comedy Series for his show “Atlanta.” He is also the first African-American to win an Emmy for directing a comedy. Lena Waithe also made history as the first African-American woman to win for comedy writing for comedy series “Master of None.” Sterling K. Silver from everyone’s favorite drama “This is Us” received Best Lead Actor in a Drama Series. This popular show is a heart-warming and genuine story about the life of a family.

Unfortunately nominees “Stranger Things” and “House of Cards,” some of our Netflix favorites, did not win Sunday night. Apart from that, a comedy favorite “Saturday Night Live,” and drama series “Westworld” tied for most nominated show this year. Although “Westworld” did not walk away with any statues, “Saturday Night Live” walked away with six awards.  These awards included Supporting Actor in a Comedy Series (Alec Baldwin), Supporting Actress in a Comedy Series (Kate McKinnon, Vanessa Bayer, Leslie Jones), Variety Sketch Series, Picture Editing for Variety Program, Original Music and Lyrics, Technical Direction, Camerawork, and Video Control for a Series.

Even with all the amazing awards, the shows ratings were very low this year. Stephen Colbert’s very politically centered speech along with unfamiliarities regarding the winning shows were main factors that elicited the low ratings.