Celebrating the best of 2017

TO CELEBRATE THE NEW YEAR, THE BITE REMINISCES ON 2017 BY PICKING THE BEST TV SHOWS, FILMS, ALBUMS AND BOOKS OF THE YEAR.

Movies:

“Lady Bird”

Ever since the days of John Hughes, coming-of-age films have become a cinema cliche. Director Greta Gerwig goes beyond creating another anguished teen movie, but instead creates one that is timeless for years to come. Gerwig bases the film off of her own life growing up in Sacramento, California. Saoirse Ronan’s role of ‘Lady Bird’ is utterly beautiful as she plays a 17-year-old American teen whose world is always crashing down on her, whether it’s revolving around family, friends, school or boys.

“Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle”

“Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle” is a remake of the 1995 classic which starred Robin Williams. The new movie stars Dwayne Johnson, Kevin Hart, Jack Black and Karen Gillan as the avatars inside of a video game. “Jumanji” incorporates the perfect mix of both action and comedy and continuously has audiences on the edge of their seats. Although Robin Williams’ character, Alan Parrish, does not physically appear in the remake, the movie paid homage to him by subtly referencing his presence.

“The Mountain Between Us”

Based on the novel by Charles Martin, this emotional yet beautiful movie will leave you speechless. After two strangers become stranded in the cold mountains after their plane crashes, they come together and become each others survival partner. After two weeks of fighting for their lives while facing sub-zero temperatures and low food supply, their fate holds something worth fighting for.

TV Shows:

“Big Little Lies”

This beachside murder mystery directed by Jean-Marc Vallee is the year’s best television series. Besides the show’s exquisite directing, the cast stood out, featuring A-list actresses like Reese Witherspoon, Nicole Kidman, Shailene Woodley, Laura Dern and Zoe Kravitz. By the final episodes, you’ll be intrigued with the wrenching exploration of hidden bonds between strong women.

“The Mick”

This comedy series follows Mick (Kaitlin Olson) as she is forced to take care of her spoiled niece and nephews after her billionaire sister and brother-in-law are forced to flee the country to avoid federal fraud charges. She reluctantly gives in to the duty of looking after her relatives due to the fact that they live a lavish lifestyle and she can barely get by. This unlikely mother figure soon figures out how to take care of her niece and nephews all while still managing to have a little fun.

“This is Us”

This heartfelt series created by Dan Fogelman has taken the world by storm. “This is Us” walks through the genuine and heart-warming story of a family and their hardships. Going back and forth between the past and the future, the show depicts how each important moment of the past affects them in years to come. The series keeps you on your toes by inching towards the big reveal of how the father of the family died. Make sure you grab a few tissue boxes, because every episode will surely leave you in tears.

Books:

“The Hate U Give” by Angie Thomas

Racism and police brutality are serious issues that are occuring in the United States. Angie Thomas’s book captures the Black Lives Movement in her debut novel. The book follows the life of Starr Carter, a girl who lives in a gang-ravaged town and attends school where she’s only one of a few African-American students. Living in these two worlds becomes even harder for Carter when she witnesses the murder of her unarmed friend at the hands of a police officer.  This essential read is relevant for everyone because it teaches the importance of hope amidst the darkest points in our lives.

“I Can’t Make This Up: Life Lessons” by Kevin Hart

Kevin Hart is by far one of the funniest names in the film industry, and he has now begun his writing career with the release of his first book in June. The memoir contains details about Hart’s childhood and how he rose to fame in the world of comedy. It also touches on subjects such as parenting, success and relationships, all mixed in with Hart’s comedic tone. It is definitely worth the read if you want to learn more about one of our world’s biggest stars.

“Turtles All the Way Down” by John Green

John Green is a highly regarded young adult author and is known for his other popular novels including ‘The Fault in Our Stars,” “Paper Towns” and “Looking for Alaska.” Green goes deeper into what it means to have a mental illness by following the point of view and feelings of a girl with anxiety. He fluently writes the relatable thoughts and deep feelings that come along with a mental illness that seem almost impossible to describe. Green really captures the truth about struggling with a mental illness.

Albums:

“Melodrama” by Lorde

What word captures the dizzying rush of youth better than “melodrama?” Lorde’s sophomore album “Melodrama” brilliantly documents the period in life when young hearts swell before breaking and dreams are just make believe. At the young age of 21, Lorde is able to bring her music to life by writing lyrics that are relevant to her and her audience. Her ability to write and compose songs about the most insecure point in our lives is what makes this album the best of 2017.

American Teen” by Khalid

New singer Khalid’s fame skyrocketed in 2017. He released his debut album, American Teen, in May and since then has received much attention, including multiple Grammy nominations. American Teen features many hit singles like “Young Dumb & Broke” and “Location.” The album is about all the memories of being a high school teen. At only 19 years old, Khalid has the potential to release many more successful albums in the future.

“Luv is Rage 2” by Lil Uzi Vert

With six tracks making the Spotify and Billboard charts, there is no doubt that this album was a hit. Lil Uzi Vert’s unique style is at its peak in this diverse and relatable rap album. He appeals to all crowds as he sheds light on the perseverance required to get back up after people turn against you, which is such a common experience. Each catchy track is different from the next and his music continues to inspire rising recording artists.