Transitioning from Maughan to the future

An era at Trinity Prep is coming to a closure as current headmaster, Craig Maughan, recently announced his upcoming retirement at the end of the 2015-2016 school year. After having Maughan as a headmaster for 23 years, the Trinity family looks back at the tremendous transformation that Maughan brought to the school. The local private school that Maughan started leading in 1993 is now a nationally recognized college preparatory school.

Prior to becoming Trinity Prep’s Headmaster, Craig Maughan had been working in a school in Kansas City, Missouri for more than 20 years. There, he had been both the assistant principal and principal before he decided that he would like to take on more responsibilities on the administrative side of a school. He looked for opportunities all across the nation, and Trinity caught his eye.

“I really did not know much about Florida at the time, so [my decision] did not have anything to do with the location as much as it had to do with the type of school that Trinity was,” Maughan said.

Maughan was looking for a strong college preparatory school, and he liked the idea that Trinity was an Episcopalian school with strong values and character. Most importantly, Maughan was looking for a school that he could change for the better.

“There are some schools that are simply so tremendous that I did not think that I could make an impact,” Maughan said. “But I felt that I could make a difference here.”

When Maughan first came to Trinity, the school was still young. There were certain policies and procedures that needed further maturation, and the campus itself was lacking. By working closely with the Board of Trustees, Maughan was able to identify and address the most crucial issues in regard to facilities and organization.

“At first, the school was a little too small. We weren’t able to offer many classes, activities, and sports, and there were students who felt as though their high school experiences were restricted,” Maughan said. “An important development throughout the years was ensuring that the school would grow larger but not too large.”

Ever since Maughan set foot on Trinity’s campus, change has most definitely been noticed. Maughan’s fatherly figure has reached out to each and every Trinity student. Under Maughan’s leadership, Trinity became one of the few Malone Schools in the country developed a student foreign exchange program, and became involved in a new level of technology to keep up with changes in society. All of which has enabled Trinity to earn an excellent reputation among students, parents and peer schools. Maughan’s innovative approach to management has brought the school numerous national awards, opportunities and grants.

However, Maughan holds the experiences that he has gained as headmaster equal in importance to his accolades. Importantly, Maughan views the position of headmaster to be particularly rewarding because he is able to see the impacts that he has made on the advancement and development of students.

“It’s very gratifying to know that you’ve played some role in a student’s future, and I have enjoyed getting to know as many students as I have over the years,” Maughan said. “When kids come back from college to tell me that they were well prepared and are happy, that is the most rewarding experience.”

After 23 years of unforgettable memories, Maughan is now able to retire knowing that he has left the school in a stable and solid position. He is retiring just as the school is finishing the construction of the new Brokaw Hall. Originally, Maughan planned to stay until all phases of enhancement were completed, however, he felt that he would not be the right person to carry out future plans for the new building. According to Maughan, a new head would be better suited to be in the position of developing strategic plans and moving those plans forward.

Maughan plans to do everything in his power to make a smooth transition to the next headmaster, who is most likely to be named in November of this year. Maughan is planning to stay until the end of June 2016 with the intent that the new headmaster will start in July.

“I’ll probably hold regular phone calls and meetings with the next headmaster to bring them up to speed on certain specifics,” Maughan said. “Next year, I will still be entirely in charge, but I would like to consult with the next headmaster on things that will have long-term impacts. I will make myself available to them in July, August, and September, but I won’t be coming back to the campus then.”

Maughan believes that communication right before and after the time of transition is essential.

Many people accredit Maughan with being the person who has held the Trinity family together. However, Maughan does not believe that this sense of community will diminish after his retirement.

“There are so many parts to the Trinity family, and this sense of family is not solely attributed to me,” Maughan said. “Instead, I would attribute it to the long-time faculties and administrators. I believe that there was already a sense of community before I arrived, and that will always remain the same.”

In his last year as headmaster, Maughan plans to do more fundraising for both the new building and the new property that has recently been purchased west of the campus. He plans to devote the rest of his time at Trinity to simply maintaining the excellence that the school has achieved.

“The foundation and principles established by Canon Rees Hay are really the same things that I try to emphasize now,” Maughan said. “I don’t think that it’s up to me or the next head to change those foundations.”

However, Maughan’s personal hope for the future is that the school will be able to move forward in technology and society. Maughan believes that the school needs to stay in touch with the changes around us and that the school should be cognizant of changes that colleges are making.

Undoubtedly, Mr. Maughan has touched the lives of each and every member of the Trinity family. Ever since his first graduating class at Trinity to the upcoming graduation of the Class of 2016, Mr. Maughan will continue to influence all of us.