Boys Varsity Basketball team season recap

Coming off a 2014-2015 season marked by a devastating postseason loss in which the Boys Varsity Basketball team had all eyes on the future as they welcomed a new season with a new squad of boys.

Bolstered by sophomore Lake Highland transfer Jasen West, the team had a promising regular season. The team had an excellent record and cracked the ratings in the Orlando Sentinels’ Super 16, which ranks the top 16 teams in the Orlando area. The regular season was headlined by a win in a rivalry game against Lake Highland Prep (LHP) and wins in several tournaments.

Many of the members of the team remember last year’s heartbreaking district final loss to LHP. All season the team had one clear goal: get back to that game and win it.

The team took the court clad in their purple JMStrong24 shooting shirts. A rowdy Saints crowd packed the stands at Master’s Academy. For the second time, the Saints beat the Highlanders with a score of 66-62.

A win over The Villages in the regional quarterfinals set up a third matchup between the Saints and Highlanders. With a crowd of Saints roaring from the home-field stands behind them, the team beat LHP for a third time, sending them home for good.

Winning a regional championship game would give the Saints their first ever berth in the State Championship tournament. They were three wins away from bringing home the Saints’ first ever State Championship. Once again, they would play a team that they had beaten strongly in the regular season. However, it was a much different team the second time around. The Saints played a close game throughout, but it came down to a final shot at the end. With only a few seconds left, West took the final shot and barely missed. Holy Trinity went on to win a well deserved Regional Championship, sending the Saints packing.

This season was one to remember. For years to come, players and coaches will try and mimic this team the best they can.  

Jasen West drives to the basket for an easy two points.
    Aaron Goldstein