Berryhill boasts young team

Slade+Cecconi+18+pitches+for+the+Saints.+
    Emma Meeks
    Slade Cecconi ’18 pitches for the Saints.

The Boys Varsity Baseball team is entering its second year under head coach Trevor Berryhill. After a 2015 baseball season that was highlighted by a historic trip to the National High School Invitational, Berryhill and his team are back and more focused than ever on making a deep run into the postseason. The Saints look to bounce back from last season after taking an earlier exit in the district tournament.

This year, after losing multiple seniors, the team has a new look. Led by senior Jared Herron, the Saints will strive to improve on their 10-16 record from last season with a roster strengthened by a slew of underclassmen.

Throughout the season, there is the possibility that the team’s starting lineup will contain three sophomores and two freshmen. Fielding five (out of a possible nine) underclassmen is quite the feat.  The three sophomores are Slade Cecconi, Ethan Groff and Kyle Borck. Cecconi and Groff are returning for their second season on the team, while Borck is making his mark as a first-year varsity player.

Although only a sophomore, Cecconi has already committed to continue his baseball career at the University of Miami. However, his hard work and dedication to the game and his team will last until he graduates from high school.

“It does feel good [being committed],” Cecconi said. “But it means the hard work has just begun.”

Andrew Roberts and Philip Clarke round out the underclassmen on the roster. While both players have seen playing time in small increments in the past, they both hope to see more time as they continue to grow as players throughout the season.

Herron and the rest of the seniors are trying to leave a lasting impact on the team.

“We help by showing them the way and how to work at practice,” Herron said. “If they need help doing their jobs on the field, we teach them because all of the seniors have that experience.”

Berryhill believes the entire culture of the team is shifting with the new dynamic. In his eyes, the seniors have embraced their role. Their leadership has had a contagious effect on the rest of the team.

Berryhill is charging into a new season with clear set goals. Having a first-year coach can sometimes create a rocky transition. However, Berryhill’s excellent start with clear game plans and distinct style of play was felt by the team.

“[Berryhill] came in and told us what was going to happen, and everyone jumped on board,” Herron said.

The team and coaching staff have set their sights on getting the offense off the ground in the 2016 season. Greater production from the offense will help the team win some tough games. Berryhill also expects to see better attention to detail from the entire team. Herron’s goal for his senior season is to simply play hard every game and to take on one challenge at a time.

A sense of team and community is something Berryhill takes seriously and wants to instill upon his players. Berryhill does not want his players simply to play the game, but he wants to make an impact on the Trinity and baseball community through their play.

“We want to leave no doubt that we are a family and the guys are working towards that goal,” Berryhill said.

Like Cecconi, Herron and his fellow senior Robyn Steenstra have both committed to continue their careers at the collegiate level. As an outfielder and pitcher, Steenstra will continue to play baseball next year at Stetson University.  Catcher and third basemen Herron will take the lessons and skills he has learned at Trinity to the field at the Florida State University.

Trinity baseball will continue to improve and play hard throughout the season. Their hard work and dedication will lead them to their goal of winning a district championship.