The Renaissance Educator

Kyle Schlett’s Journey to Inspire Curiosity in the Classroom
    Olivia Prince

From journalism to acting, English teacher Kyle Schlett brings extensive experience to the classroom. This winter, Schlett decided to leave Palm Beach Day Academy after six years and join Trinity Prep on February 12. Outside of teaching, Schlett enjoys reading, performing and immersing himself in the pursuit of knowledge. 

Schlett is passionate about crafting engaging literature and writing lessons into his curriculum. This year, Schlett will be teaching sixth-grade English and aims to build students’ curiosity beyond just English related topics.

Amidst his teaching career, Schlett discovered a passion for acting and creative endeavors, playing a director in the 2012 short film “The Show Must Go On” and engaging in stage performances, including a Shakespeare festival. 

“I have an IMDb credit, and I was in a little movie for a film festival and have done some stage acting,” Schlett said.

In a delightful twist, Schlett also revealed his close connection to Hollywood royalty. Schlett was in “The Show The Must Go On” with Jennifer Pierce Mathis, who starred alongside Casey Affleck in the play Lemon Sky with Kevin Bacon.

“I’m three degrees from Kevin Bacon,” Schlett said.

Before teaching, Schlett worked in business-to-business sales, selling door hardware to schools, hospitals and even military bases. However, he yearned for something more rewarding, ultimately choosing to pursue teaching. 

“It was kind of a turning point in my life,” Schlett said. “I have tried some other careers like journalism, and I looked at law for a while. Teaching is more rewarding, for one thing.”

In his quest to inspire inquisitive minds, Schlett embraces an eclectic approach to education. 

“There’s this kind of cool part where I can set up questions and create the environment where curiosity is its own reward,” Schlett said. “There’s that moment where the spark has hit and somebody’s self-motivated just because it’s cool.”

Schlett’s dedication to fostering a love for learning extends past the confines of his classroom and the subject of English.

“I strive for knowledge,” Schlett said. “I wish I knew more about astrophysics. I’m like a frustrated astrophysicist.”

Through his diverse pursuits, Schlett aims to create engaging, student-driven lessons that motivate learning.

“I geek out over any learning beyond English,” he said. “I even watch Neil deGrasse Tyson.”

When it comes to his educational philosophy, Schlett describes it as student-centered and curiosity-building. His short-term goal is to get his students excited about student-led discussion. Looking ahead, he hopes to get involved in Trinity’s theater program.

Through teaching, acting, and a relentless pursuit of knowledge, Schlett aims to inspire those around him, leaving an indelible mark on his students and the world of education.