Rebel, rebel

If you’re a functioning member of society, there’s no doubt you’ve witnessed a woman with pixie-cut hair. Seen a lady in pants. Another in boots. Perhaps you’re the woman rocking the short hair and pants. No matter what role you play, it is safe to say that in this day and age seeing a female in what is traditionally classified as “men’s clothing” is nothing out of the norm. Many are even praised for their bold sense of style.

But on the flip side of the spectrum, how many of you can say you’ve seen a man in a dress? If you’ve just said yes to the latter, reevaluate if the situation was meant to ridicule or if the dress donner was RuPaul. The real question: why is it okay for a woman to wear boys’ clothes in a casual, everyday manner, when it’s nearly taboo for a boy to do the reciprocal?

Thanks to age old views of society, men are seen as belonging to the superior gender. Therefore, a woman taking on the role of a man is acceptable, because, as the reasoning goes, who wouldn’t want to imitate the superior sex? A man taking on a woman’s role is dubbed as an offense, because, essentially, he’d be degrading himself.

Many people, however, don’t believe the above to be so. Iggy Pop, widely known as the innovator of punk-rock, had a famous photo shoot done in which he dons a dress. “I’m not ashamed to dress like a woman,” the singer was quoted, “because I don’t think it’s shameful to be a woman.” There are plenty of celebrities that transcend the gender boundaries on a daily basis. David Bowie is assuredly one of these people. The British singer’s style spanning through the seventies included makeup, skin tight leotards, high-heeled boots, and an abundance of glitter. The material things aside, Bowie also created an alter-ego: the androgynous alien Ziggy Stardust. This character is portrayed with flaming red hair, one-shouldered jumpsuits, platforms, the occasional eye patch, and a single earring.

A good friend of Bowie’s, Mick Jagger, followed closely in his footsteps, but down his own path. The flamboyant front-man of the Rolling Stones is also known for his eccentric outfits and dance moves, let alone the many times he’s adorned a wig and pretty dress for the heck of it.

The above stars aren’t the only ones participating in this gender bending revolution. The well-noted Glam Rock movement epitomized the very aspects that Iggy Pop, Bowie, and Jagger so famously exhibited. Originating in the United Kingdom in the early seventies, Glam Rock (also known as Glitter Rock) featured artists such as T. Rex, Sweet, Roxy Music, Lou Reed, Alvin Stardust, and of course, David Bowie. It is most known for its sexual ambiguity and androgyny, using a wild display of tight pants, glitter, and music to make a powerful statement.

What is ironic about the assumed “wrongness” of males being feminine is that the men stated above – all of whom are widely and publicly known for embracing their feminine side – are vastly adored and very successful. Mick Jagger is even known as a world-wide sex symbol. And why is that?

Bowie, Jagger, and Iggy alike aren’t afraid to embrace their feminine sides in the matter of dress and mannerisms. What Jagger displays on stage isn’t drag – and he isn’t ridiculing the female nature either. He’s ascribing power to the female sex. This is a man who is comfortable with himself and his gender, and that’s what is so irresistible to many. Jagger breaks the binding of “feminine” and “masculine,” practically giving himself his own title.

So, if anything, here’s the moral of the story: wear a dress or don’t – your gender shouldn’t influence your decision.