Irksome Qualities of the Campus Love-Birds

Kendall Rotar

When you find yourself constantly listening to your friend’s relationship problems, it’s easy to get extremely bothered. Couples these days have a tendency to shove their relationships in eveyone else’s faces. So, we decided to find the root of the problem and give our advice on how to fix this annoyance.

Problem: Excessive PDA at school

Example

There is always that one couple at everyone’s school who just can’t get enough of each other. I walk to my locker before school to get my books for first period and I find myself face to face with a couple playing tonsil hockey before my breakfast has even been digested. It’s an uncomfortable situation for everyone because no one knows how to properly approach these excessive love birds. I never understood why these lovers feel the need to display their affection in such a public place. I don’t need such an intense visual to believe your love for each other. I’m not against PDA at all, but there is a very fine line between what’s appropriate and what’s not.

Solution

You can fall in love all you want, but if you are excessively making out with someone in front of someone’s locker, please stop. I am not one to be against love, holding hands, hugging, or occasionally kissing. I just don’t understand the need to get it on with your boy toy or new gal in front of everyone. So our solution is this: keep it on the DL when you are with your boyfriend or girlfriend. Sometimes love does not have to be physical, and if you find yourself just having a physical connection with someone and not a mental one, you might want to rethink your relationship.

Problem: Love is the main topic of everything

Example

Everyone has that one friend who is always texting his or her lover or talking about them. It can get very tiring especially when it seems like you are just hearing the same things over and over again. Sometimes I just like to talk to my friend without any interruption of what her boyfriend did for her. I’m glad that my friend is happy in her relationship, but after a while the non-stop blabbing can get old.
It is even more annoying when all that your friend does is complain about how bad the relationship is. If I just want to have a fun night with my friend, I dont want to hear about how he can’t stand his girlfriend. It makes me uncomfortable and I find my mood dropping quickly. I always wonder why this person is still in the relationship if all he does is complain about it. If you’re supposedly so unhappy with your relationship, then why stay in it?

Solution

Going out to lunch with girlfriends or hanging out with just the guys is a time to be with your friends, not a time to bring up all of your relationship problems. If you are having problems, bring them up to a close friend that you can confide in, but don’t be the Debby downers of the whole hang out by regurgitating all of your relationship nonsense. You should talk to your friends so you can get things off of your chest, but don’t let that be the only thing you speak about. If you find your friend talking too much about it, we would recommend telling them to not think about it because over thinking things are the root of anxiety. If you find your friend constantly texting his or her partner or inviting him or her with you everywhere, ask them if you could just have some friend time. But, don’t completely take them away from whomever they are overly talking too.

Problem: Third-Wheeling

Example

Throughout the school day at, I enjoy finding moments to speak with my friends alone so that we can discuss the funny incident in math class or what my latest crush said to me. However, it is difficult to discuss these events if the lover of one of my friend’s shows up. If I don’t know someone well then I generally won’t spill out my feelings. Also, the friend will normally exclude everyone else and only pay attention to his or her lover. This can make things incredibly awkward and ruin any conversation immediately.

Solution

Tolerating being with your friend’s boyfriend or girlfriend is not that big of a challenge. But, if you are constantly finding yourself tagging along to movies or walking around school with them, you might consider saying something. You can talk with your friend and see when there is a time that you can hang out. Also, let the couple have their space. You probably have other friends that you can talk to while you let your friend hang out with whomever it is they are spending time with. Being with your friends is important, but let your friend have some time with their special someone.