We’re running out of options

The dress code is one of the most controversial topics at this school. Girls and guys alike have things that they do not agree with the dress code.

There are two rules that tick them, and me, off the most: the abolishment of running shorts and the sketchy feeling of wearing a sweater to school.

Running Shorts were abolished was because they were too “short”. Yes, I understand that girls feel the need to roll them up and wear tight tank tops with them which is considered “scandalous.” I, for one, was not one of those girls. When I wore running shorts, I wore a giant t-shirt and my hair in a bun. The day isn’t called “casual day” for nothing.

What irks me about this subject is the fact that not all girls were rolling up their shorts to their butt cheeks and wearing tight, low cut shirts. The girls that did deserved to be written up because they were blatantly violating the rules. But when girls wear short shorts to school, on a regular school day, not all girls have been revoked the access to wear shorts to school because only one girl wore short shorts to school. So why put in place this rule about running shorts?

If running shorts were to be allowed again, I can’t assure you that all of the girls would follow the rules. There are always going to be those wallflowers that beat to their own drum and the same goes for regular school shorts. But, I can assure you that these shorts are not the most revealing shorts worn at trinity prep.

While trying to figure out just how long running shorts are supposed to be, and how they are beneficial I stumbled upon this on the Nike website.

“Benefits: Dri-FIT fabric to help keep you dry and comfortable, Side mesh panels for extra ventilation, Internal pockets to keep small items secure, Built-in briefs for support and coverage, and Internal draw cord for a personalized fit” said Nike.com about their running shorts.

So, with this information I concluded that it’s not the shorts that are the problem.. it’s the people who are wearing the shorts. Girls need to understand what size they are in running shorts, they shouldn’t be clinging to your hips they should be loose, flowy, and comfy.

It explains just how comfy and easy these shorts are, and are not supposed to be made scandalous. Some girls just need to get the right size running shorts and stop rolling them up, and these shorts would be perfectly fine.

Lots of girls wear shorts to school on a regular basis that are shorter than running shorts. Getting rid of running shorts just seems like a silly law put in place here at Trinity.

Most girls wear shorts that are not exactly half thigh or longer. Many girls pull off wear them a few inches shorter than

Outside of school, girls wear running shorts around 50% of the time. They are extremely comfortable and loose. “I put on running shorts as soon as I get home every day and wear them most of the time I’m not in school” said, junior Jordyn Quinn. “I wear running shorts all the time when I’m not at school or going out. They are super comfortable.”

As long as they aren’t really short, then they aren’t scandalous at all. I would probably wear running shorts to school only on casual days with like a t-shirt.” says, sophomore Isobel Mohyeddin.

“.. With like a t-shirt” and “.. Put on running shorts as soon as I get home.” As you can tell, many girls would not be wearing the most revealing of clothing with these shorts. Running shorts are just comfortable and help me (and many others) feel comfortable at school. I have already investigated how much stress school can but on a person, now why put on more stress of not being able to wear a comfortable piece of clothing that is easy to throw on?

Boys alike agree that they aren’t attractive or unattractive, they are just there. They also agree that they are not short. So if these aren’t alarming to the opposite sex, have a decent length to them, and are comfy… What’s the deal?

It states in the dress code that “shirts/blouses must have collars AND sleeves.” But, styles are forever changing and wearing a Polo with a big sweatshirt over it is not considered “fashionable.” We encounter this problem during the winter months, where the sweaters come out and the polo tops go away. Because, even though we live in Florida, it still gets pretty chilly. Personally, I don’t think that wearing a sweater that is up to you r neck is considered inappropriate. I think there should be a revision to the dress code allowing girls and guys to wear sweaters during the chilly months.

But, people love to push things to a certain extent. No, a long sleeve, fleece shirt is not a sweater. Also, people need to learn the difference between a cardigan and a sweater. A cardigan buttons all the way down and is usually worn with a dress or as an accent to an outfit. When you wear a cardigan with a shirt under it that is not considered a sweater, it’s common sense people!

People need to understand what is appropriate and what is not. A low cut v-neck sweater is not going to fly, but if you look like you just stepped out of a j-crew magazine you should be able to wear that outfit. There is no doubt about it, if you wear a crew- neck sweater it’s not bad. Sweaters have much more coverage than some polos out there, and think that wearing sweaters to school is a good and classy way to dress. Trinity needs to think about some things, there are ALWAYS going to be people who push things, but why are we punishing everyone for one person’s defiance?

I think that the dress code need a re-evaluation, and many students agree that some rules just seem absurd. Most students just want to be able to be comfortable at school while you undergo all of the stress, not show off their goods!