Disconnected clubs don’t create a charitable campus

ALICE BENEKE

As I stood under the fluorescent lights of CVS in the wee hours of my weekday morn, I thought to myself, “What am I supposed to bring again? Toys? Cans? Clothes? Or maybe I’m supposed to bake something…” While handing the cashier my contribution to society and the common good, I reflected on who and what truly encouraged me to make this “difference.”

After years of dropping cash at bake sales and witnessing club members fight for humanity, I’ve noticed that most students aren’t particularly invested behind the cause of each club. We as students tend to treat our clubs at Trinity as nothing more than resume builders. Having a balanced resume is a good and encouraged thing, but it shouldn’t be the primary intention when supporting a cause. When we lack the passion to make a humble difference, our motivation ceases.

“I’m a big proponent for only doing things that you genuinely care about, not participating just because the proverbial college admissions eagle eye or whatever is watching,” says PeaceJam member Lauren Kwa. “It is pointless to join a club just for resume building, and the people who do that are usually the most inactive members.”

When I first came to Trinity, I treated clubs with only the intention of having a good time. Notice how the middle schoolers genuinely enjoy their club time. In middle school, we were taught to have fun with the 35 minutes of freedom allotted to us. Like the twelve year old I was, I opted for Guitar Hero and Chick Flicks club. Needless to say, I looked forward to Friday mornings.

It wasn’t until high school that I realized that the way I decided to spend 35 minutes of my Friday morning was intended to be a true reflection of my character. Joining charitable clubs have become the new norm.

As the school year goes by, more and more students opt to skip out on clubs. Instead of classrooms filled with ideas of change and selfless acts, I see the Grille packed with sleep-deprived teens as they munch away on their tater tots.

Students, especially those at Trinity, may find it hard to donate their time. Our workload is certainly not the lightest, and when we do have downtime it is precious. When students have the decision to make a change or stay in the comfort of their bedroom, they usually choose the latter.

Students are hounded by their advisories, peers and classes to donate items rather than contribute on their own accord. I find it disheartening that we have to use bribery to encourage students to make a difference. Advisory points and casual days are nice, but they shouldn’t be the driving force behind our generosity.

No Powerpoint presentation or special assembly can effectively show students the outcome of their donations, time and effort. In this day and age, immediacy is sought. In most cases, and especially charitable ones, seeing is believing. We can never truly appreciate change until we are part of it.

The listing off of numbers and statistics is meaningless to the student body as they idly sit back in the comfort of the auditorium seats. An array of videos and images thrown together on presentation slides only provides a glimpse of the outside world which we are supposed to rescue from *insert disease/social issue/problem we have never recognized* with *insert household item/food/money/something your mom will buy for you the night before*. Students have the resources and tools to make a difference in our community, but the sea of posters taped across campus evokes little inspiration.

Regardless of students’ hesitance to actively partake in a cause, we are still making accomplishments in society everyday. Many generous students have ditched their pajamas to hammer away at Habitat Houses on Saturday mornings. In fact, our 15th home is underworks. BASE Camp, a prospective new club, shows progress as leaders Jeanne Amend and Leah Krinker provide relief to young cancer patients.

“The most gratifying thing is seeing the joy that we can bring the patients and their families,” Ahmend says. “I’ve learned to really appreciate and be grateful for what I have.” Those who have found selfless passion have proven our capability as a student body to make a change.