Juniors lifting the team on their shoulders

TROY DEAL
Junior Lauren Kwa raises the bar for the new members of Girls Weightlifting.

Steel racks, polyurethane weights, padded benches, intensity, sweat, and passion. Girls weightlifting explodes into their second season after an inaugural year where the team broke down many barriers.

Led by coach Erin Miller, the team of 16 girls looks to build on the foundation from last year and cement themselves as contenders in the district.

Ninth grade English teacher Miller graduated from Trinity Prep in 2000 and also graduated from Northwestern University with a degree in journalism.

Throughout her years in high school and college, Miller says she lifted weights at places like the YMCA to stay in shape. Now-a-days, Miller enjoys going to the weight room where she works out five times a week.

After returning to Trinity Prep to teach English, Miller wanted to make the activity more accessible to girls; something that she never had.

“When I came to school three years ago, I went to Coach Finnucan and asked to begin a program,” she said.

In 2000, the weight room was situated in an unknown area near the boy’s DAC locker room and because of its position and size, it was “basically for guy’s only.” Though the weight room is in need of a facelift and expansion, it is much more accommodating than it was a decade ago.

Girls weightlifting was introduced into the Athletic Department for the first time last year.

The inaugural team was made up of just eight ladies, three of whom were seniors. Trinity Prep alumnus Jessica Andrews (Class of 2012) led the way into the unknown territory of benching and squatting splendor.

This year the team saw a greater showing and doubled in size. Now with 16 girls, Miller expects to have individuals competing in more weight classes.

High school weightlifting has ten weight classes: ranging from the 101 lbs to 199 lbs and the infamous “unlimited.” Each weight class consists of two events or exercises, the bench-press and the clean-and-jerk.

Teams are awarded points for those girls who place high enough in their respective classes. With more girls comes more opportunities to score in events and ultimately win matches.

Now in her third year as a teacher, Miller looks to continue to grow the weightlifting program. With a team composed mostly of juniors and sophomores, one freshman, and no seniors, the goal this year is to continue to build on last year’s foundation and see enormous gains.

“The goal is to build the program because there are only four returnees. I also want to continue to see improvements among each individual,” Miller said.

The second-year coach is excited to compete and change the culture at Trinity Prep. Ultimately the goal is to win and have fun, but Miller wants the ladies to grow confidence and understand “they can step into a weightroom” and own it as much as the guys.

The ladies team looks very promising this year. Returnee Lauren Kwa, looks to lead the way with an impressive array of lifts that can challenge anyone in her weight class.

At their first meet in November, Kwa exceeded both her lifts by an outstanding amount.

Rookies are also prevalent on the team including state diving star Victoria Chan. “I want to get stronger in order to work the [diving] boards better” said the junior. Recently Chan gained success in a meet prior to Thanksgiving break where she won in her weightclass.

Juniors Gaby Balaguer and Kelsie Glinski-Boyd use the winter sport to condition for the upcoming lacrosse season. Both explained their reasoning: “We wanted to get swoll.” Glinski-Boyd proclaimed, “I did it for the singlets.”

Many girls on the team joined because they never do spring sports and therefore wanted an actvity over the winter. Junior Gillian Perkins says, “I love it!…it relieves stress and I’m good at it.”

A solid core of juniors looks to pave the way and establish girls weightlifting as a true contender in the district for years to come.