Herron hones in on potential

TYLER NEMEC

As a freshman, he started as a running back and linebacker on the varsity football team and led the varsity baseball team in batting average. The next year, as a sophomore, he won 3A District Player of the Year as a quarterback, his first time ever playing the position. Most high school athletes dream of having any one of these achievements put on their resumes, let alone all three of them.

According to sophomore phenom Jared Herron, his success has only just begun.

“I do my best to get better everyday so that there is no limit to how talented I can be based on how I work,” Herron said. “There’s obviously a limit on how tall or fast I can become, but not on how technical or mechanically sound I am. There’s no limit on that.”

Success directly correlates with the amount of work and effort put forth. With work comes achievement, and with achievement comes expectations. It is natural for a casual fan of Trinity Prep athletics to worry if Herron’s achievements will eventually outgrow him. It’s natural to fear for a sophomore who has been entrusted with being the unspoken—but well-respected—leader of both the football and baseball teams. After all, both these teams have recently boasted winning records and much improved talent.

Being a leader, according to Herron, is what makes the game worth playing.

“When you’re trusted by a coach, it makes the game a lot easier,” Herron said. “But, it also puts a little more pressure on you because they come to you for information and when you don’t have that you look bad. If you do have it, it makes the game run a lot smoother.”

Varsity Baseball Coach Derek Wolfe has seen the maturation develop in Jared at a young age.

“I’ve seen leadership qualities come to the forefront more this year,” Wolfe said. “I do think he can be one of our team leaders, if he stays healthy.”

Besides bearing the pressure of being a starter as an underclassman, Jared has, for the most part, eluded adversity in his athletic career. He has not faced any form of scrutiny about his leadership, work ethic, or talent. He has not eluded his inner scrutiny, however.

“Last year, I struggled in the beginning of the baseball season,” Herron said. “I also struggled towards the end of the year, the middle was where I really excelled. If I can be consistent throughout the year as opposed to being streaky, I can be better than I was last year.”

He feels the same toward his other sport, football.

“For football, next season I should lead this team to the playoffs and make a run, our schedule is tough, but we have people getting better everyday to make a run.”

“Jared plays with great passion and energy,” Mike Kruzcek, varsity Football Coach said. “He brings a great attitude to practice everyday. He will do anything to make himself better.”

According to Kruzcek, he made the bold move of transitioning Herron from linebacker to quarterback because of his mobility and throwing arm.

With all of these intangibles and talent, it’s safe to say that Jared will play sports at the next level. But the big questions—how high a level of competition, how many sports, and where he’ll end up playing—are still unanswered. He’s getting more looks by colleges to play baseball, but football is still a possibility.

“I haven’t made a highlight tape yet for football, but Coach Kruzcek is going to force me to make one my junior year,” Herron said.

The decision of which sport to play still looms ahead in the near future; as of now, Jared just wants to play both.

Expectations could hinder his progress, but that only affects people who buy into it. Jared is focused on the here and now, not on his past or his future.

“I’m looking forward to hitting in the middle of the lineup. Last year I was towards the bottom, so I’m glad to get moved up,” Herron said.

Whether Jared plays both football and baseball in college or he just chooses one to pursue, the work ethic he shows today will make him successful in his future. His success in baseball and his potential in football make him a star at Trinity and will make him successful wherever he goes.